Mossberg 500 & 590, Only Chambered for 3"????

Smoke Screen

Hey folks, I noticed on Mossberg's website that the 500 and 590 were chambered for 3". Does that mean they fit up to 3" shells, or that they only chamber 3 inchers?? I want to be able to use 2 3/4 as well, but it doesn't specify on the Mossy website. I'm particularly interested in the J.I.C. and Persuader models. Thanks in advance for the info!

EHCRain10

any shotgun chambered for 3inch shells can fire shells that are shorter,
same thing can be said for 3.5 inch shells
they can go shorter but NOT longer

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Yes any can shoot shorter but not longer than the chamber. The 500 mossberg can handle UP TO a 3 inch round. I have noticed obvious difference in 2 3/4 cheap loads and high brass stuff length but since I can go up to a 3 inch I don't worry about it...
Brent

Smoke Screen

Well, here is what I know. After taking my cousin out rabbit hunting a few times, he had to buy himself a shotgun. He went to a gun show and bought a brand new Charles Daly in 12 ga. He bought some 2 3/4 inch basic 7 1/2 shot field loads and we took it out to the desert. Yes the rounds fed, and yes the gun fired, but it wouldn't eject the shells properly and the action would close on the brass end of the shell trying to eject causing a jam. I checked the barell and it specified 3" chambering but NOT 2 3/4. Ever since then I've been wary about making sure the 12 I want to get will not only fire but cycle those rounds as well. :)

Are you sure your cousin didn't have things backwards?

A 3" shell will usually chamber and fire in a 2.75" chamber, but there will be extraction and ejection problems because the fired case is even longer than it was to start off with.

I have never seen a 3" chamber pump shotgun fail to feed, fire, and eject 2.75" shells.

kristop64089

I just ran 50 trouble free rounds of 2-3/4, 7.5 shot, thru my "new" Maverick 88 (essentially the same as a 500) which is chambered for both.

The only problem I have is a bruise.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Is this Daly a auto or pump? Light loads (as in "range rounds" for the shooting range) Will fail to cycle... Hotter rounds will cycle like clock works. This is one reason I love my 6 shot pump'emup carbine action mossberg... I stole from Justin Wilson...
Brent

IdahoG36

The only problem I have is a bruise.

I hear you on that. I have a Mossberg 590 A1, and installed a M4 style collapsible stock. The gun doesn't really weigh much at all. I fire cheap 2 3/4" slugs and buckshot out of it for practice. They kick hard, and after a good shooting session, my shoulder is sore.
I occasionally shoot 3" Remington Magnum Express 00 buck through it also, which is what I keep it loaded with for HD. Those really kick hard.

tech4061

My Mossberg 500 barrel specifically states that it is chambered for 2 3/4 and 3" shells. FWIW, I mostly shoot 2 3/4 " shells and have yet to experience a problem.

Smoke Screen

Yeah, I too have never seen a problem with a Shotty that fits up to 3 inchers fail to fire, cycle, and feed 2 3/4 until my cousins Charles Daly. I saw it, I was there with him. I wondered *** was going on which is why I started this thread. Although I have grown up with guns my whole life, I have the least amount of experience with shotguns, (but I'm not an imbecil) which is why I thought I might have been missing something. I can't wait to get my Mossy 500/590 for HD. I'll feel a lot better about my wife having it available when I'm gone too. Thanks again for the input gentlemen. :)

I'll try to send pictures of what happened, but I explained in the above post what it was. I'm also not sure of the model of Charles Daly, but it was a basic black synthetic model. I'm assuming one of the lower end models.