Mossberg 100ATR review

CarJunkieLS1

I'm pretty new here and nobody really knows who I am so to return all the helpful info I've been getting. I thought I would give some info that may help some new shooters and new hunters that will be looking at rifles on a budget.
I recently bought a NIB Mossberg 100ATR .30-06 ($295) synthetic stock (faux wood) stainless barrel as a backup/loaner rifle. I added a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad, mounted a used off Ebay Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff ($110 shipped) Leupold scope rings using the bases that came with the gun. Its a basic package that doesn't cost alot of money but is definitely useable. Here are some pics

I took it to the range last Friday to sight in the rifle I shot Winchester Super-X 150gr factory ammo cost around $20 a box.

I got it sighted in and I must say I was impressed the trigger is basically an Accutrigger clone and it broke cleanly and had zero creep in it. The stock is stiff and didn't seem to have any noticeable flex in it. The rifle handled nicely and recoil was noticeable but it didn't beat me up I shot 20 rds and my shoulder isn't sore at all. I'm 6'2" at 165lbs. Here are some 3 shot groups

I was averaging 1 inch groups to 1.5 inch groups and I had a 1.875 group not pictured with a called pull in it but as you can see it is definitely acceptable to hunt with. This grouping will definitely get better once I handload for this rifle. I hope this review is helpful to people who sees this and helps repay all the help I've received as a new hunter.

TMW89

Great review. I can't say I have seen one of those in store yet, but it might be worth it to check it out.
Anything bad you can say about it? And do they make it in smaller calibers, like .243?

CarJunkieLS1

Thanks for the kind words. This rifle had been sitting in my LGS since April of this year I bought it a few weeks ago. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the stock recoil pad is kinda hard and will beat you up if you aren't careful and that the sling studs aren't studs and are molded into the stock. The short action caliber choices are .243 .308 and 7mm-08. The long action calibers are .270 and .30-06. I'd definitely check it out I like it much better than the Ruger American a friend has and better than the Savage .243 my wife has. The ruger and Savage stocks have a little flex in them I couldn't flex my Mossberg stock when I tried.

ripnbst

I had a .270 WIN ATR that was sub-MOA with 130gr Rem Core-Lokt's. You should be able to improve on that grouping based on what I've seen from some other posts too.

I know you want to keep it on the cheap but if you want a real wood stock Boyd's sells them for the ATR for around $100 IIRC.

Last edited:

CarJunkieLS1

I'm sure that I will be able to improve on the groups with handloading which I plan to do for this rifle. I do plan to keep this rifle on the cheap as all I wanted was a backup/loaner rig that won't bother me if it gets beat up a little.

I've only fired this rifle the one time at the range but I was impressed for sure. I may get a deer this year with my primary hunting rifle then carry this one. For the ~$425 I have in this rifle to get it ready to hunt I couldn't be happier.