Mosin question

DRice.72

I was watching something the other day on the History Channel about extreme marksmanship. They had a section about the Finnish and Soviet snipers with their huge kill count (I imagine due mostly to the winter and a target rich environment.). So how good is a Mosin, fresh out of the cosmoline? I have seen a few accessories for them as well. Are these worth the trouble? Most are not expensive, and considering the rifle itself is cheap, is it possible to get a serviceable hunting rifle in the end? IF my research is right a Mosin falls between a .308 and a 30-06? That would make the round more than enough for most game.

jaguarxk120

The rifles may be the same outside, but the Finnish rifles shoot entirely different. Check prices on the ruskie Mosin and the Finnish worlds apart.

Stephanie B

It depends.

You can find some Soviet Mosins that have nice triggers and are pretty accurate, but you have to know how to identify an "ex-sniper". Even so, you may have to adjust the front sight because the Red Army sighted them in with the bayonet fixed and removing the bayonet alters the point of impact.

Kreyzhorse

I've got a Russian Mosin and it's a pretty nice rifle. Pretty accurate and certainly could make a decent hunting rifle considering I paid under $100 for it.

The only issue with mine is the trigger pull that is the heaviest I've ever felt. I'm sure a gunsmith could work on it, but for what I paid for it, I'm not sure its worth it and its really just a range gun anyway

Overall, yes, a Mosin could make a good hunting rifle but I wouldn't expect it to be a great bench rifle.

DRice.72

I have to research this a lot more. Right now it looks like a really neat project gun. I just haven't decided if I want to do it or not, and just which way to go. I have read threads where people say that you can't hit a barn with one at thirty paces, while others say golf balls at 500 yrs are easy. Go Figure.

Cheapshooter

Like almost all C&R military surplus firearms, it's kind of a crap shoot. I have several Mosins, 91/30 91/59/ M44. All have acceptable to excellent accuracy. One of my sons 91/30 Mosins is what is known as an X-sniper. The mounting holes for the scope mount have been filled, and the rifle then re-finished and a bolt with a straight handle installed. This was done for one of two reasons. 1. The sniper rifles were not need as much as standard infantry models so they were converted to be re-issued to soldiers. 2. The accuracy was unacceptable for sniper purposes, and the rifle was converted, refinished, and put in storage in case the need for more rifles arose.

As far as a deer rifle You might want to look into the shorter M38 version.

The Finn Mosins are much more desirable as collectors, and in a lot of instances are better shooters, but also are priced 3 or 4 times higher than the Russian and other Soviet Block rifles.

For more information try: http://milsurpshooter.net/

Sporter stocks are available. Also scope mounting kits that include a new bolt handle that has to be screwed on the bolt after the original straight handle is cut off, and a mounting hole drilled and tapped. The easiest way to install a scope is with a "scout mount" that attaches to the rear sight hardware, and requires a long eye relief scope.

7.62X54R ammo is available in a soft point round for hunting. There is still a lot of relatively inexpensive military surplus ammo available for practice. Consider ALL military surplus ammunition as corrosive, and proper cleaning is manditory as soon as possible after shooting.

Really fun and interesting guns to own and shoot. Inexpensive to buy and shoot.

Last edited:

howwie

I imagine it varies between each rifle considering the age. But in my case, I have the carbine version, it shoots pretty well. I'm no crackshot by any means. But I killed two deer with it with iron sights. Granted niether of the deer were further than 75 yds but they didn't take a step either. When you say deer gun to me it works fine, but where I live it's so thick you never get a 100+ yd shot anyway. They're cheap, so is the ammo, and I really enjoy shooting it so if you have the cash I'm sure you'll enjoy the gun either way.

Jimro

Yes, the mosins will make adequate hunting rifles.

The standards for a sniper rifle have changed over time. In the American Civil War "Sharpshooters" generally had to group tight at 250 yards, and that would be considered long range shooting by most infantrymen.

In WWI trench warfare made "sniping" hitting an exposed enemy helmet or whatnot from a hidden position in "no man's land".

In WWII sniping began to change and take the form of what we consider military sniping today. Using snipers as small teams with their own missions. Still the "Designated Marksman" role continued to play a big part, with engagements happening between 300-600 meters.

At that time there were no dedicated sniper rifles, only accurate rack grade rifles pressed into service as a sniper rifle (usually be slapping on an optic). The Mosin Nagant sniper rifles generally shot 7.62x54r light ball ammunition into a 1.1 inch 5 shot group at 100 meters.

In terms of accuracy, most WWII sniper rifles would be considered dedicated marksmen rifles, but they are plenty accurate for most riflemen.

Jimro