Mosin-Nagant

Jen-from-IL

I'm still waiting on being able to purchase my first handgun. While doing so, I'm reading a lot about various guns, including rifles (may be a future purchase). One particular rifle that seems to have a following is the Mosin-Nagant. What is the draw, besides cost (or is that the only draw - hehehe). I know until recently, I had never heard of this rifle. I have read about the Springfield 1903, Mausers, etc.

tahunua001

the price is the major draw. it's a fairly cheap gun with fairly cheap ammo radily available. however it's advantages over other offerings grows thin.

other guns like springfields and mausers are more refined designs and are generally better shooters with smoother actions. the mosin nagant is a rickety, crude design with very apparent tool marks on most of them and very stiff bolts.

if you want something thats cheap to play around with and always goes bang they are the hipoints of the military surplus world but if you want something that's actually fun to play around with and doesn't require a block of wood to cycle or 1/4 inch callous on your palms then I would recommend saving an extra $150 and getting a Lee Enfield instead.

globemaster3

I'll echo what tahunua said...

Last year J&G Sales was advertising them for as low as $69 each. Ammo was super cheap surplus as low as $80 for 440 round spam cans. Put that all together and you have a cheap gun for shooting at the range. The cartridge falls into near 30-06 performance, so it could double as an el cheapo deer/hog setup as well.

But, they are rough compared to other milsurps. The USSR was only interested in mass production during WWII when they were cranking millions of these out to supply their army.

Jen-from-IL

Interesting. That's crazy cheap!!! I'm nowhere near ready for rifles. It's just interesting to me to find out information, especially something that seems to be quite popular.

Yes, those crazy Soviets - just spit it millions of them as fast as possible before the factories were overrun or dismantled and moved further east).

M1ke10191

Locally they're nearing $175. I bought one last year for $150. That's their major feature, plus surplus ammo is something like $0.25/round although I just reload for it.

It's built like a tank (check out Iraqveteran8888's Mosin torture test for confirmation on Youtube).

For me, the best part is the history behind it. If you're into WW2 at all, this gun was in more soldiers' hands than any other. Mine was made in 1943 so it missed Stalingrad.

Also, my bolt is very smooth although as posted above, YMMV. I have no complaints with mine though.

tahunua001

keep in mind that was a very cheap price even last year and now even double that is considered low end of average. these days most people are spending $150. still cheaper than anything else out there but the draw is getting less appealing.

M1ke10191

True, but one of these days a Mosin will cost $700 and we'll all be kicking ourselves for not buying a case even at $150/ea. Didn't that happen with the SKS?

jimbob86

mosin nagant is a rickety, crude design with very apparent tool marks on most of them and very stiff bolts.

The re-arsenalled mosins I have are in much better shape than the other milsurps I have. Should better groups and don't kill brass, even with max loads.

I spent less on them than I did on my Yugo SKS...... which needed fixing (paperclip trick) .... and does not work well with all ammo ....

The Mosins both go bang every time, and are more accurate than my Commision Rifle or my 93 Mauser.

Rickety, huh?

Watch these, and tell me about how rickety the design is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiXFyIbOZw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bzls73WH7w

Rickety? SRSLY?

tahunua001

I own two and have shot a number of them... I'm not just some armchair expert here. I'm speaking from personal experience. when I say rickety I mean that you can open the bolt and it'll rattle in place. springfields, mausers and arisakas do not do that in the least.

MOST mosins are not capable of any great amount of accuracy. even when gauged by other wartime production rifles.

jimbob86

I mean that you can open the bolt and it'll rattle in place. springfields, mausers and arisakas do not do that in the least.

I've got a couple of mausers that'll refute that. One of them, you can close the bolt, fire it, and the bolt will rattle in place ......

Catfishman

Mosin Nagant 91/30s are crude and cumbersome but they shoot better than they look/feel.
On the downside, that cheap ammo is corrosive and the rifle is crazy long.

A much much better WWII surplus rifle is the K-31.

jimbob86

A much much better WWII surplus rifle is the K-31.

The difficulty of finding proper ammo for the K-31 keeps me from buing one.

Even finding the correct size of bullet to roll your own is nigh impossible ..... yes, I know .308 bullets will work ..... but they are not the right size .....

tahunua001

7.5swiss is not as hard to find as a lot of other obselete cartridges. compared to 30-06 and 7.62x54R yes it's not easy to find but compared to 7.7 or 6.5 japanese it's fairly common.

Jen-from-IL

Interesting. Those guys definitely did what they could to break it and apparently succeeded. But it sure took a lot.

I am huge history buff and have read a lot of military history. Would be kinda cool to have a relic from the past, imagining where it was used. Maybe some day. For now, I'll just keep reading and hearing stories. :)

kilimanjaro

The pre-war Mosins are generally much better fit and function than the WWII production, if you want to look around.

The M44 carbines are usually in excellent condition and all-matching.

Prvi Partisan and Sellier & Bellot both make a good commercial 7.62x54r round. Get some of that, shoot it off, then reload the brass, if you want to avoid the corrosive ammo issues entirely.

tobnpr

They have a long and interesting history. The conversation here is revolving around the 91/30, but the Finns re-barreled the Soviet/Russian actions into some highly accurate weapons.
Lessee...
Simo Hayha, most confirmed kills in any major war, with a Mosin-Nagant M28..
The M28/76 was/is a well known and accurate target rifle...
The Tkiv-85 is a modified Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle, STILL IN SERVICE, with the Finnish Defence Forces.

You can't paint them with a broad brush. Many are capable of minute of angle or better with match grade ammo.

Justice06RR

Wow some of you guys seem to look down on Mosins...

IMHO they are good, cheap, and reliable rifles that have withstood the test of time. Not the nicest rifles obviously, but you're also not paying a lot for them. For around $200 you can have a good rifle and plenty of ammo to go with it.

Jen-from-IL said:
Interesting. Those guys definitely did what they could to break it and apparently succeeded. But it sure took a lot.

I am huge history buff and have read a lot of military history. Would be kinda cool to have a relic from the past, imagining where it was used. Maybe some day. For now, I'll just keep reading and hearing stories.

If you are a history buff, I would still consider the Mosin Nagant. Watch the movie "Enemy at the Gates" and you'll see some history with the Mosin. I would still suggest you buying a Mosin now if it has caught your interest. They are fun to shoot, cheap, and realible weapons.

Check out Budsgunshop website. They have the Mosin Nagant with Hex receivers for $160 shipped. I believe the standard 91/30's are still $119 if you prefer to save a bit.

Do not let some others sway you from buying one simply from hearsay. I enjoy shooting my Mosin's along with my Colt AR's, AK's, an SKS's.