Mosin-Nagant

HOKIEHUNTER

i looked in a local classified ad and a guy said he had a Mosin-Nagant for $75. i haven't taken a look at it yet, but should i go for this?

joab

It's a little lower than the gun shop price here.
I've seen them from $85 to $120.

If the bore is good and has decent finish and wood.

I paid $50 for mine in cosmetically poor shape with a dark bore on a impulse buy

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
That all depends on the Mosin. If it's a 91/30 or an M44, the price is fair-to-middlin'. If it's a Finn, it's a steal.

Apple a Day

Hokiehunter,
I bought a Russian '44 a few months ago from Dark Sun for $85 in southeast Virginia (Hampton gun show). It was still in the wrapper and has a squeaky-new bore. The wood furniture has a few scratches from storage and handling but I didn't buy it to impress folks. The '91/33 versions were a twenty or so more expensive and not in as good a shape.
If the guy bought it, ran a box of cartridges through it and decided it wasn't his cup of tea, decided to sell it as nearly-new, knocked a few bucks off the price then I'd grab it.
I took mine to the range for the first time yesterday (Chickahominy on the west side of Williamsburg). Geez, what a bang that thing makes! :D ^2 It was a bout a million degrees and humid enough to make me really miss the Blacksburg area.
Cheers

Cpl Punishment

That's a good price, period. That's about what you'd pay before shipping charges, from a dealer if you had a C&R license. From a gun shop, you'd pay $100 or more, regardless of shape.

As for if you should buy it or not, look at the bore, if it looks good, no rust or pitting, it's probably a good rifle. The wood and exterior metal on these tends toward the rough side of things., If there's no big gouges, or cracks in the wood, then it's good to go. Rarely will you find one with wood that doesn't have scratches and dings.