Mosin Nagant Revolver

scorpion_tyr

I've noticed that you can pick up the old Mosin Nagant Revolvers (7.62x38R) for $75-100 each. I was just wondering what you guys think of these? Can you still find factory ammo for them or do you have to hand load it?

Tom2

IMO for your money you will get a good 100$ revolver. Fiocchi makes ammo that is expensive, and you can buy a cylinder to shoot 32ACP that is not that cheap for it. Or you can do like some do and try shooting 32 S&W, they say the cases just bulge a little:eek: They all look to me like they were created one at a time in an Afghan village with files and hammers. Maybe the pre Soviet versions were made better but you don't see those for sale, except as rebuilt refurbs on an old frame or something. If you got the money to blow on an impractical but somewhat historical, maybe some day collectable, Maybe, go for it.

GilaMonster

I read somewhere that these are popular with Cuban gangs in Florida, as they are the only revolver than can be silenced.

Think about it... the cylinder moves forward, closing that gap at the breech (?) where the gasses and flame (and noise) escape usually in a revolver... with a can screwed on the end of the barrel... silenced revolver!

Oh, wait -- here's a YouTube video of just such an animal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0&feature=related
)of course, the silencer is about the length of the gun! be hard to hide!)

and, you can buy them from J&G Sales (without the can) for 80 bucks!
http://www.jgsales.com/advanced_sea...osCsid=7e49ed00cd476b6b466f402dc0e315d6&x=&y=

Hirlau

Nagants

I have five of these handguns. One is used as parts. Love to shoot them, but expensive, $25.00+ a box.

One of the hardest double action pulls.

Mainly a piece of history, reliable, not pretty, but solid!:)

Elvishead

The only reason I don't order one is because after shipping, tranfer fee, and Brady tax (NV), the price will be double of purchase price.

RAnb

I bought one a while back. The ammo I got with it was target velocity, only about 700 fps, but very consistent with a stdev of 5 fps. It is not very accurate though.

I am able to reload the brass with 93 grain cast 32 caliber bullets sized down to .309" but the brass is very delicate and easy to bulge. I had to make a longer expander for the Lee die set I bought and grind away on the shell holder a bit so it would hold the brass. The heavy crimp is impossible for me to duplicate. I am getting a 30 carbine Lee factory crimp die to put a better crimp on the brass to allow it to chamber correctly when the hammer is cocked. Since I reload, I have not bothered with looking for more ammo for it.

I am making a silencer for it. The tax for the silencer is more than the cost of the pistol dies and brass put together. I think it will be better than a 9mm suppressed pistol, but not as quiet as a 22lr.

Ranb

Stainz

While the Russian carbines and rifles were Mosin-Nagant collaborative works, the Belgian brothers Nagant were solely responsible for the 7.62x38r 1895 Nagant revolver made from before WWI to the end of WWII at the Russian Tula and Izhevsk plants.

I have been producing homebrew ammo for my meager collection of Nagants for several years now. In retrospect, I would rather have bought just a bunch of Ruskie 'target' loads, as anemic as they were. My loads, in a .32-20 case sized by a Lee carbide M1 Carbine sizer, don't 'jump the gap', making clean-up of the chamber concave exits and convex barrel entry problematic. Certainly, if I could find the 'Hot Shot' Nagant ammo today at a fair price, I'd likely stock up on it instead.

Those homebrews started life with new .32-20 brass, to which I'd take ~.010" off the headstamp - and turn ~.024" off the rim's OD. Sure, you could mill the breech block and turn some - ~.015" - from the inner OD of the pawl-engaging ground area. I'd rather leave the revolver stock - modify the ammo cases to fit, as tedious as it is. I shed a tear when a case is lost...

The aftermarket .32 ACP cylinders don't fit well - may have to be modified to even work. The ammo is more anemic - and certainly not inexpensive. Some use .32 S&WL ammo - like the soft-cased MagTech - which will bulge to the point of splitting several cases per 7-shot cylinder - be careful. Certainly, the usual .32 S&WL/H&RM ammo is straight walled, while the chamber is tapered very similarly to an M1 Carbine round. I feel .32 H&RM ammo is dangerous in this application and should be avoided, no matter what some of the surplus dealers have suggested.

I had my C&R FFL renewed this summer - I have only used it to buy a couple of my Nagants, the earliest units bought like anyone else - via delivery to a local gunstore. They are neat - and did come with a reversible straight blade/wood handle that fits everything on the revolver, a cleaning rod, a lanyard, and a serviceable holster. All were in VG++ condition, too. Sadly, the re-arsenalled revolvers have a little finish buildup on the working parts, making the high DA pull even worse. Tweaked, they still approach 20# DA pull - certainly not a S&W. Of course, there is a lot to go on in a trigger pull.

If you buy one - go to the 1895 Nagant sub-forum at Gunboards.com for more info - even dissection info. Neat piece of Victorian engineering. Get the Serbian made 'Hot Shot' ammo. Have fun!

Stainz

45reloader

I bought 3 from the different factories.The TULA is the only one with a sweet double action trigger.

Great piece of history :cool:

Tom2

Everyone here is spilling out lists of significant negatives about the design, then some of you own more than one! What is the appeal that makes you willing to spend your money for this particular revolver versus something else?

scorpion_tyr

I know what appeals to me. They're cheap, and they have a little history behind them. That's why I want to get one. I just want to make sure they can actually handle being shot at least once a year.

Wildalaska

I have 8 now

WildhistoricalandfuntoshootAlaska TM

Gonna test one on Sunday...leave it in truck overnight in subzero weather loaded, then shoot in sub zero on Sunday...its the Glock of the 1890s!