Mosin Nagant: Quick review and first impressions

osallent

After reading countless threads on the Mosin Nagant, I decided I had to have one. I have never owned a bolt action rifle (only semiautomatics) and have never fired a rifle that's over seven decades old. I was not sure what to expect.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

It's big...the rifle stretches on for miles and miles, and with the bayonet on, it feels like I am a medieval soldier holding a pike. The rifle's finish is rough at best, and it bears the battle scars of war. I like that...it adds character. :D

9c884aae.jpg

d7816f5e.jpg

THE SHOOTING EXPERIENCE

The trigger pull is nothing to write home about, and the bolt action is somewhat hard to operate smoothly...at least for a soft capitalist pig like me. After 80 rounds at the range under the hot Florida sun, I felt like I had done a full workout session with Richard Simmons. My shoulders and hands ached, and my feeble body felt like I was a Russian peasant after a full day of work at a collective farm. A few more trips to the range, and my arms should look like Hulk Hogan's. My girlfriend should like that. :cool:

THE BULLET

Shooting the 7.62x54R is as much fun as anyone could have with their clothes on. It kicks like an angry Soviet mule...but who cares when you are having so much fun? Here is a comparison to the 7.62x39

6a1235c8.jpg

CONCLUSION

If you've never shot an old historic firearm like this, you will certainly appreciate the advances in firearm technology that have been made in the past 50 years once you use the Mosin Nagant. This is not a rifle for the faint of heart. However, I rather liked the experience, and the cardiovascular exercise that I got trying to operate it was certainly a nice plus. It sure beats going to the gym. I love my angry Soviet mule, and would highly recommend it to fellow history buffs and those looking to jump into the world of curio/relics.

micksis86

I love my Mosin. Mine was is a 1934 build like yours. The trigger is absolutely terrible but with a bit of practice it doesnt' bother me any more. Did you find yours shot high?

osallent

Yes...it shoots a tad bit high, but not enough to bother me. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera with me to the range, or else I would have taken a picture of my groupings.

I agree that the trigger is rubbish on these rifles, but it doesn't bother me like it would on a newer rifle. The rifle kind of grows on you. I didn't think I'd like it so much, but there is a certain charm to it. :D

Last edited:

chris in va

I have no idea how Russian conscripts held off the Nazi's with these crude things. Mine was one step above a pitchfork in technology.

kraigwy

They did loose 20 million people during WWII

It wasn't because of the Mosin.

There is nothing wrong with the Mosin. It doesn't kick as hard as people let on. The trigger sometimes comes ruff, but a lot of dry firing will smoothen it out.

Get away from surplus ammo, load up some good rounds and you'll find out it shoots.

Learn to shoot it rapid fire, loading with 5 round clips. Tricky at first but once you got the tech. down its almost as fast at the 03 Springfield or 1917 Enfield.

Most do shoot high but there is an easy fix (I've posted it several times). Mine shot 8 inches high at 100 when I got it, not its right on, you can't even tell I did anything to it. Its still unmodified per CMP GSM Vintage Rifle Rules.

When I was in SE Asia we figured we were safe if we could stay 300 yards away from AKs, not true with the Mosins. There is a reason that rifle has been round longer then any other military rifle in history. It's still being used today.

Cheapshooter

It kicks like an angry Soviet mule...
Try the 8X56R Hungarian round in the M95 Steyr. About half the size of the 91/30 Nagant, and the hardest kicking milsurp I have ever fired!

I have no idea how Russian conscripts held off the Nazi's with these crude things. Mine was one step above a pitchfork in technology.

Ever hear of Vasili Zaitsev?
This be some interesting reading for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin-Nagant

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

Very nice review of the M/N Osallent. thank you.
They are really fun guns at the range. a lot of big bang for a few bucks. I have a Tula Hex receiver 91-30, an Ishy round receiver 91-30, a 91/59, and a Hungarian M44. I enjoy all, and shoot them as much as possible.
Warning: the Mosin bug has just bitten you. there is no cure, but you can relieve the pain with a C&R FFL so you can save your bank account a little.

Bamashooter

I have 3.... 1929 hex, 1953 Hungarian M-44, and a 91/59. I love all my ole mosin's. They are alot of fun and when I go to the range it seems like everyone wants to shoot them. Enjoy your mosin.

twins

Timney trigger for Mosin-Nagant?

Anyone tried the timney trigger for the Mosin-nagant? Just wondering if it is an easy drop-in because it costs as much as the rifle itself.

http://timneytriggers.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=50

I have to agree with the OP, the MN 91/30 does kick like a mule in comparison to today's 1 inch recoil-padded hunting rifles. As Kraigwy stated, try some handload if you can, it will make a big difference in accuracy for your rifle.

Last edited:

Eagle0711

Don't have one myself, but there was a fellow and his buddy on U Tube getting hits at a 1,000 yards. They hit a target about the size of a mans chest 3 out of 5 shots. No fancy equiptment, looked like a stock rifle with a small scope. The gun was sitting on a small ricketty table using a towel to rest the gun on.

The cartrige is a twin sister to the 30:06. He was using a 200 grain Hornady SPBT bullet with a stiff charge of IMR 4350.

Very Impressive.

lonstar45

Timney trigger for Mosin Nagant

I installed a Timney trigger in my Mosin Nagant, and it has made a world of difference in the feel of the rifle. It is very simple to install, but will require some inletting of the stock, and the safety on the trigger is a great added bonus. You can adjust the trigger from 1 to 4 pounds of pull as compared to the factory 50 pounds of pull.The cost is a matter of personal preference. I choose my M44 to accurize and have no regrets with the Timney trigger.
:cool:

rickyrick

the trigger is an easy fix....on a side note, wear saftey glasses when dry firing as any extra lube will splash into the eye...as i found out :(

The Great Mahoo

Great review; thanks for posting!

I love my M44 I picked up a while back. I mounted a scout-scope on it, using one of those mounts that replaces the rear sight. Nice shooter, but the recoil has defeated the mount a few times, but I think I have it good and tight now. Problem is, now I'm thinking I want to take it off and put the irons back on.

I'm thinking I may have to order another one, though likely not one of the M44 or M38's that I would prefer, now that I have my C&R FFL.

RichardWA

I have the M-38 carbine, I like shooting it, Kicks pretty good and the muzzle flash is pretty impressive!:D Hearing protection is definately required!

osallent

JRI, I guess it is a matter of perspective. I thought it had a decent kick, but I admit that I probably took a few liberties with the words I used in the review to make it interesting.