Mosin Nagant Question?

TPAW

I just picked up my first Mosin Nagant in excellent condition with all matching serial numbers. Matter of fact, I'm still trying to get the grease off it.

My question is this: The entire rifle seems to be very well made, but I was surprised to see that the upper part of the forearm ( the part that fits over the barrel) is not the strong beefy wood that I expected. It is light in weight, twists easily when you hold it by the ends and gently twist, and has what appears to be brass cover plates on each end that are machine stamped in place (you can see the stamp dents on the inside of the brass).
Is this normal or not?

For a rifle that is stamped 1943 on the receiver, I would think that the upper forearm piece would have been made better?
Feed back would be appreciated.
What ammo would you recommed I use?

customaquatics

ya both mine did that too so i would say it is normal an if you choose to go with the monte calro stock you will find that wood piece is also kinda thin. an i shot the Brown Bear an the Comm-Bloc ammo an they both shot fine just remember to clean it everytime after you use it.

homesick

I am gona ask a simiple question and don't want to start any verbal outbursts. My question is what is so special about these Mosin Nagant.

jakeLC

To answer your question homesick,
I think it is because of how inexpensive they are. I have one because it was a hundred dollars and alot of local gunstores around here have at least 20 to choose from. Its also kinda cool to shoot a rifle made for use in WWII​

raftman

I am gona ask a simiple question and don't want to start any verbal outbursts. My question is what is so special about these Mosin Nagant.

So simple that it really shouldn't need asking. It's a rugged, durable, reliable rifle with historical interest, can be very accurate, they fire a round approximately equivalent to .30-06 (but available at a fraction of the price), and you get all of that for $70-$100!

pvt.Long

The nagant is a supurb combat rifle. You should be happy that you got such a good rifle. This is the rifle that rulled over the soviet union. Pushed the nazi army to defeat. this rifle is battle ready and deadly accurate out of the box (except for the cosmoline bath). With more then 200 rounds for around 100 $$. What is not to like or to question?

mkk41

The older M91s , like those made in the US by Remington and Westinghouse had a much beefier forestock. Like the Finnish rifles. One could only assume that the Russkies got more blanks per board. Wartime economics and efficiency. Those were hard years for the Russians and they were cranking out the weapons 24/7 to beat back the Nazis. Their leaders even sent secondary waves of troops out with ammo but without rifles , reasoning they could just pick one up from a fallen comrade or dead Nazi.

And yes , they reissued millions of captured German Mausers and ammo

jephthai

I just had mine out to show one of my kids this week. It's awfully nostalgic, and fun to attach the bayonet. If I rest the butt on the ground, the tip of the bayonet comes up to my nose. They're an unreasonably cool piece to complement all the shrimpy modern stuff you have in your safe ;).