Mosin Nagant M44 stock

Young.Gun.612

Where can I find a good wood replacement stock for a Mosin Nagant M44? Haven't seen too many on gunbroker, and google hasn't yielded too many results.

Thanks!

Webleymkv

Why are you wanting to replace the stock? Are you wanting a different style such as a Monte Carlo or are you just unhappy with the finish on yours. If you don't like the finish, I'd just refinish the one you've already got. If you're wanting a different style, your options in wood are pretty limited.

Young.Gun.612

Its not just the finish. The stock is pretty beat up. I'm not trying to sporterize it or anything, so I'm not looking for one of the many ATI monte carlo stocks I've seen. Just a replacement wood stock in better shape than the one it came with. It isn't a numbers matching gun, so originality isn't an issue. I just want it to be in good condition, and a good shooter.

Webleymkv

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1044180&catid=3256

Numrich has used stocks, but I don't know how they'd compare to yours. Sometimes dings and dents can be removed with steam by using a wet towel and an iron, but I've never tried that method myself so I can't comment on how well it works.

I did refinish the stock on my M44 and it was a fairly easy process. I simply sanded it down to the bare wood and then smoothed it using very fine sandpaper and then steel wool. Afterward, I stained the wood (I wanted a reddish hue to the wood) and then used Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. I didn't worry about small dents and dings as I think they give the gun character.

Satanic Toaster

I would just try and steam out some of the dents and refinish the wood. You will be happier with the way it will look and it will give you a project for a few days.

Young.Gun.612

Well, the metal bands on the foregrip seem loose, among other issues. It, has character. I'd love to hear the stories it would tell if it could. Looks like someone carved "Adriana" in the stock, and some other imperfections. I have a feeling it's beyond just steaming out the knicks and dings. But thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it.

But if I were to try to redo it myself, what all goes into it? Any write ups of the process?