Mosin Nagant barrel rust, cause for concern?

Merad

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/mXoJYtO.jpg

This is a 1931 hex receiver M91/30 I got last week. Noticed this rust spot during cosmoline removal. I think the pic does make it look worse than it actually is - it's more of raised area where oxidation has occurred rather than pitting down into the barrel. Is it bad enough to need checking by a gunsmith?

the rifleer

I don't think its bad, just use some oil and steel wool to remove it and prevent it from getting worse. You have to pit a barrel very bad to make it dangerous to fire.

SIGSHR

Yes, steel wool and oil, obviously a spot where some moisture was trapped between the barrel and the stock.

For reference, Page 202 of Hatcher's Notebook has a picture of a Springfield '03 barrel that he turned down to a wall thickness of 1/16" over the end of the chamber that fired three service rounds without blowing it up. He then put in a proof round, and that burst it. So that rust would have to eat pretty far in to cause a safety issue. Nonetheless, it's best to get it all out and double check how deep it goes. Squirt the rust with PB Blaster, let it sit a day. Repeat twice. At that point it should come out pretty well.