mosin M44 carbine help

gunney 67

I think I already know the advice on this one, but I gotta ask anyway. I have a russian M-44 that is really nice EXCEPT that I didn't discover until I went to the range that it has a counter-bored muzzle about 1.5 in down. I suppose this was to correct muzzle damage from improper cleaning.Is there any hope of reasonable accuracy from this thing? It shoots about 4in @50yds, and it does shoot to the left with the bayo folded, like most do.

MEATSAW

here's another dumb/smart question: how can you tell an M44 is counter-bored? Will the rifling in the last couple inches be completely different? I'd like to check mine -- it shoots really well (1MOA) but I wanna check to be sure...

jsmaye

There will be an obvious bore-out at the last 1.5 - 2 inches of the barrel. There will be no rifling where it's been bored. A round can be inserted all the way to the case.

carguychris

Is there any hope of reasonable accuracy from this thing? It shoots about 4in @50yds...
The lack of accuracy could be caused by any of a variety of factors. Ammo is at the top of the list.

Counterboring doesn't hurt accuracy in and of itself; after all, the whole reason behind counterboring is to restore accuracy. Some Mosin-Nagant fans avoid counterbored rifles because they're often shot-out otherwise, but not always; in a military context, there are plenty of ways that the muzzle crown could get damaged.

Avenger

Try the heavy ball ammo. I've heard many people indicate that their 44s and 38s like it better than light, and my own results somewhat bear this out. All of mine shoot at least as well with the heavy as they do with light, and usually better. I've got a counter-bored 1946 dated that absolutely loves Bulgarian heavy, but ANYTHING else turns it into a slow shotgun.
The heavy does punish your shoulder a bit though.

noelf2

Ammo is usually the problem. I bought some surplus 7.62x54r ammo and the bullet diameter in them was .308. I slugged the bore of my M44 and M38 and they were both .313. I plan to increase accuracy by reloading using .303 british bullets which are .311 diameter.

I suggest you slug your bore and figure out what is right for your rifle if you plan to do something other than make loud noises with it.

ksstargazer

I have a number of counterbored Mosins and they all shoot pretty well - as noted above, the counterbore was done to improve accuracy and it seems to work. The counterbore can be very slight (1/8") or can be quite long (my longest is 2"). The bullet test will confirm a counterbore quickly. Just see if a bullet is swallowed up at the crown. Some of my mosins are finnicky about ammo and prefer either heavy ball or light ball. Try a variety and see if one does the trick.

gunney 67

thanks to all for their advice. I was shooting wolf 185 gr that mikes .310. I'll try some other ammo and see. The rifling is well-used but still strong, with some obvious corrosive primer damage. At least there is still hope. My supposition was that the bullet was being tipped by the gas blow-by before it exited the barrel. I don't expect to win at camp Perry with it, just reasonable accuracy. I am kind of fond of the danged thing.

koolminx

I got a question to add... I did some trading and got me a Mosin M44, and from all angles it looks perfect, the action is smooth and NOT loose like my nephew's, the rifling is beautiful and looks like she's never been shot.

Can just go out and bang away with it at some targets or is there tings about these rifles I should pay attention to before shooting?

Thanks,

Gary

the rifleer

koolminx- strip it down and spent at least an hour cleaning it out. mine took me literally 8 paper towels to get the cosmoline out and ive had it for close to a year and have put 600+ rounds through it and sometimes i still get a little bit of it when i clean the rifle. if you have a take down tool for it check the firing pin protrusion, check the barrel for obstructions, get any cosmoline out, and check for any pitting or corrosion. lightly oil it and make sure all the screws are tight. if everything looks good it should be good to go.

koolminx

Thank you. I did give it a very thorough cleaning when I horse traded for it as it was dusty.

I will fully tear it down this weekend, and inspect everything then go shoot the 340 rounds I bought for $4.50 per pack of 20 to give her a proper break in... It's gonna hurt good... I'll likely not get more than 40 rounds through it before crying like a girl... :) All the ammo I've found locally is like $8.00 per 20. I gotta find a better source.

koolminx:

My shoulders etc are really skinny and can shoot the LE #5 with no recoil pad (on SKS to lengthen the stock), no pain, and the MN 44 is a bit easier on the body.
If your bore is in much better condition than with both of my 44s, count yourself lucky...whether very mild pain or just discomfort. If you stand, there is only discomfort.