Mosin ID Help

Dead-Nuts-Zero

Had to see what all the buzz is about with the Mosin, picked one up for a few bucks, know very little about them. However I have spent several hours online looking for my Mosin style, but can't seem to narrow it down.

:confused: Its a 91/30 style. The biggest roadblock is the receiver has modern etched codes on it. RSSR, 94/30 C'ville IL, etc. I am guessing this is import markings. The 94/30 has me stumped...what is this, can't find anything like that anywhere I have looked or searched. :confused:

I think its a Tula, has a hex with the star & arrow, 1929 under the star, has the smooth rails on the rear sight (not the scalloped or saw tooth style). Looking over the exterior of the rifle w/magnifying glass, there are probably 25+ different stamps/markings/codes etc. Have not pulled the stock yet. Overall, I think its in good or better condition, no rust, wood is solid, barrel looks good other than the crown is not showing crisp/sharp rifling, probably cleaning rod damage.

Spent hours in 7.63x54r.net, unable to find anything thats close. So I am thinking it has different wood than the original?

Its too much to post all the details, but would like to know of any other sources where I can look online to try to ID this rifle.

:eek: One last problem...I think I want another Mosin, its plenty of fun to shoot, the research frustrating but kinda fun. Hope to get out where I can open it up on 200 - 300 yds. :D

MikeG

Importers have made mistakes in their stamps before. The "94/30" is probably close enough to 91/30 for a warehouse flunky