mosin deal at local gunshop

predator86

so i went to my local gunshop today and was looking at an old mosin and the the guy behind the counter said that he was having a sale on them buy a mosin and 100 rds of ammo for 100 bucks. now every bone in my body is screaming thats a good deal (which it is) but i know absolutly nothing about this rifle, 7.62x54 right?? how pricey is ammo? how accurate are mosins? and my most important question-what options do i have for optics?? i dont want a newer scope messing up the lines of the gun, i would rather have an older scope on it but still allowed me to see the target better

unless a k31 would be a better gun, he has a couple of them too, i just dont know anything about these older milsurps

azredhawk44

It's not the best deal, but it's a long way from a rip-off.

I bought my Mosin Nagant 91/30 for $70. My first case of surplus ammunition cost me $40 for 500 rounds. Now, that same case of ammo sells for about $75 or so.

Don't scope a Mosin. The bolt has to have the handle hacked off, then drilled and tapped for a bent bolt. You then have to remove the rear sight and install a scope mount there instead, and it is a single-point mount rather than a more stable and conventional double-point mount.

I get about 3-4" groups out of mine with surplus ammo and iron sights. Actually, it's about the same accuracy as I get with my M1A and cheap surplus for it. I have yet to build any match grade 7.62x54R since I haven't stumbled across any .311 diameter match grade bullets, but it shoots pretty accurately given the fact that all it's had to shoot is 50+ year old ammunition meant for peasants.

angeldeville

buy it already!

DSCF1142.jpg

Kreyzhorse

Not a bad deal. Buy away. I bought mine for $79 and it was clean. Ammo sells at guns shows for about $4 a box of 20. Fun shooter but I wouldn't bother scoping one.

Old Time Hunter

Where abouts in Wisconsin? Is it a 91/30 or M38? Happen to know a gun shop here that has them also. $100 bucks ain't bad, especially if it is whom I think it is. If it is the ammo is brass cartridge and boxer primed, good reloadable cases.

predator86

it is at the gun shop in elk mound, wis.

i am going to buy one for sure for my little brother, he isnt too interested in guns and doesnt have any so im going to put together a kit for him, figured a surplus rifle would be perfect for him.....the question is do i want one for me?

Based upon these ammo prices:), I'm also now looking for a very dependable Mosin.

One MN website has FAQ (questions), and claims that all x 54R ammo is corrosive, despite some claims to the contrary.
Apparently, some enterprising US 'businessmen';) are buying the ammo and repackaging it as NON-corrosive, whether Brown Bear or another Russian-brand. The guns using this must be cleaned just after firing, even with soap and water. One guy in a very small gunstore here claimed that some (normally Russian) Wolf ammo is made in Germany-but I'm not so sure: it is not listed in a visible place on the boxes, which were on the floor.

Check the forum for Mosin Nagants at website 'TheHighRoad.com' (THR rifles).
Even TheFiringLine now has more info on these, maybe under "which centerfire rifle.." or similar.

There are almost identical rifles to MNs at Brighton Arms, in Brighton, TN, about 15 minutes north of Millington-just n.e. of Memphis-right on Highway 51. Very easy to find. These rifles also shoot 7.62 x 54R, BUT have a bent instead of straight bolt and list about $400. I worked the bolts on some today. They are Russian style but maybe Czech etc.
The store has none of This ammo, but they let you shoot a used gun before you buy it!

The 'Army/Navy' pawnshop in Starkville MS had at least two and maybe four MNs about two weeks ago, listing for about $130 (with folded bayonets): two were probably the shorter 44 and two the longer 91/30 style-but some guys on these two websites appear to be satisfied with guns which list for less than $100. The one which I held had the normal MN straight bolt. The young salesman called it an SKS, which it was not.

Has anyone used multiple rounds of the Romanian x54R ammo, claimed by some to be non-corrosive?
Or is some bad, some good from the same box?