More useless Ar-180B chatter

Matt Sutton

I, like many have been intrigued by the new 180B and angered by the magical moving delivery date. I knew that if I called Armalite as individual I would probably get the old runaround, so I stopped in to my dealer and asked them to call and see what the scoop is. While they're on the phone, I browse the racks and discover TWO original Costa Mesa 180's on the rack! Before the call was over, I had one field stripped and reassembled. I was impressed. They seem to balance well, had decent sights, and were comfortable to hold. The folding stock design was pretty weak, but it was high on cool factor. Too bad they wanted $1300 a piece for them.
Armalite said November/December delivery, so I said go and paid my deposit. If they keep up the current trend, I should take delivery by June/July 2002. Hopefully I'll beat our wonderfull lawmakers to the draw!

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have long considered the AR-18/180 to be what the AR-15/M16 should have been. Easy and cheap to make, easy to clean, nearly impossible for dirt or crud to stop, adequate accuracy.

Of course the M16 has had millions of tax dollars spent to improve and accurize it, and is now not a bad rifle. But it is still not what it could have been, is expensive to make, hard to clean and is too precisely made for a good military rifle.

Jim

Destructo6

I doubt Armalite will do the Special Weapons thing on their delivery dates. One or two push backs are to be expected.

$1300 doesn't seem terribly outrageous for an original AR180. Preban Eagle/Armalite CAR-15's were priced around $2000 just before the ban here in CA. Preban Valmet 76 (.223) folders were at $1200, with no magazines.

I too like the looks of the 180B. Especially the part about it being as crud resistant as the AK. I was wondering how much of a pain it will be to mount a red dot sight. And if they would ever introduce a "carbine" model. Maybe a 16.5" barrel. I hope the accuracy is very respectable for the semi auto.