More Seattle shenanigans: gunshot locators

rickyrick

I'm not sure if these work, or have any real effect on crime. I heard about them being used in California.

I get the technology, I'm a techie person. I'm concerned about cost and invasion of privacy.

Seems more like an investigative tool, since the crime is already committed at the time of the gunshots.

Seattle to test gunshot-locator system in Rainier Valley, Central District | The Seattle Times - www.seattletimes.com
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...echnology-in-rainier-valley-central-district/

RickB

Uh-oh; they're going to test them in the parts of town that have the most crime!
I can hardly wait to hear about how "racist" the detectors are . . .

Mike38

In Chicago, I'm not sure Law Enforcement could even keep up with gun shot locator investigations. About the time one shot gets pin-pointed, five or six others have gone off. :(

lamarw

I understand they have been in use for years. I personally think they are a great tool for pubic safety. In the event an individual is shot and wounded it would be great if law enforcement responded and requested EMS. In the event of a death, I agree it would be a tremendous help in order to ascertain and find the shooter. Let us use the example of a drive by shooting with police responding and spot a fleeing vehicle.

I do not see how it could be detrimental to the legal and proper use of a firearm or violate anyone's legal rights.

The technology is used in population centers where hunting or target shooting is illegal and not in rural or safe areas for sporting use of firearms.

Ozzieman

And I am sure there will be no other use for the gunshot locator. You know like recording what people say within several hundred feet of the “gunshot locator”. Our government would NEVER use the “GUN SHOT LOCATOR” to spy on its citizens.

eagleno49

NPR had a good piece on these locators. They went into how the data is hard to process, and it is hard to determine whether or not they make any difference at all in crime rates. If I recall, it was also very expensive. I believe the units were all rented, and you have to have a subscription to access the data.

44 AMP

Staff
Modern marvels are wonderful, if they work, and can be used in a timely manner.

I do wonder about some things, though, is the system good enough to be able to distinguish between a gunshot, an echo, and a car backfiring?

Also, a rented system? Not enough money in the budget to buy it, so its rented, with a permanent expense now on the books??

What's going to happen in July? Especially around the 4th....

I am reminded of a story from the Vietnam era. According to the tale, there was a new, high tech sensor deployed, one that could find the VC by "sniffing" the chemicals in their urine.

The test went well enough, until the system operator reported that there were 10,000 VC closing on his position!

Seems that one of them peed directly on the dector....
;)

Sequins

Eagleno, I suspect you are right about this being a Pronto-style bailout for one of mayor Murray's cronies rather than a real crime stopping initiative, however the added benefit of spying is certainly possible. I think Seattle city hall isnt really on that level of sophistication, but I recall hearing how the FBI was placing recording devices in the bushes near bus stops and other areas outside of the local courthouse in Oakland, warrantless, recording people walking to or from court discussing their cases (recordings used to aid prosecution) so you might be right.

All in all it will likely cost a fortune and accomplish nothing, except an encroachment on freedom

TXAZ

I worked for GD a few years ago, where we integrated "Shot Spotter".
The demos in open fields and suburban areas are excellent. A couple of cities in New Jersey have claimed success. One city even claims the number of shots are down. If you're in a high density urban area, the results are mixed.
The technology tries to locate both the initial 'bang' and then triangulate back the bullet path.

I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about it.

Rockrivr1

They installed them in a town here in Mass called Brockton. It's a real hole full of drugs, crime and gangbangers with guns. I know a few people who live in that town, who are just normal people trying to make a living and they have random shootings around them all the time. So the town decided installing these would help. But it didn't....

Not sure if the technology is ready for real time at this point. Would seem the gangbangers have been "testing" how well they work. My friend had someone pull onto his street and fire 25 shots into the air. It took the cops 25 minutes to show up. Really good response time there.

Boogershooter

I've seen the game wardens use these in areas where spotlighting and poaching were suspected. If enough of them are used it will (pinpoint) the location the shot was fired from. You would have to have one on almost every street corner for it to be useful. I'm sure they would get stolen as soon as all the gangbangers figured out what they are.

kilimanjaro

This is a much better idea than putting more cops on the streets in the two square miles of Seattle where they are needed. After all, if they spent the money on cops they wouldn't be able to spend it on rainbow crosswalks and bicycle rental companies that lose money trucking bicycles back up the hills every evening.

After all, the Mayor has his priorities, you know. Musn't let government get in the way of dystopian dreams.

They have them in Minneapolis. They are a tool nothing more.
They can triangulate were a shot came from and display on a map were its at.
I dont know if they prevent crime.. Maybe they change bad guy tactics a bit to account for them. I.E. Shoot and scoot instead of hanging around talking smack.

JERRYS.

pow pow pow. hands gun off to girlfriend who promptly leaves while he acts suspicious to draw attention to himself..... gets checked out by cops and let go because he's clean....

Yea I not aware of any instance they had any effect on catching any one.
Maybe saved a life, by having quicker response of live saving help.
Got there before they bled out and maybe provided a description of the perp. May be.....

I think if I remember correctly that it was used once to corroborate a police officers shooting of a perp.
Cop shot a perp and it turned out the perp did not have a weapon on him after the chase and shooting.
So you can imagine the protests that ensued. " Police kill unarmed teen"

Shot tracker corroborated the officers account that he was shot at by the suspect and returned fire. The perp unknowingly ditched the gun.
The gun has never been found, but the cop was cleared.
That of course did not matter to the protestors though.

Last edited:

2ndsojourn

"I personally want stolen guns removed from the streets and thugs arrested."

I agree, and I'm sure that's a general consensus.

"...where is it infringing upon legal gun owner's rights?"

I don't see it either.

"What I am curious about is what bothers other Forum members about this tool"

To me it seems ineffective and a waste of money. A gunshot on the street can be pinpointed(?) to a certain location but by the time LE gets there, everyone's run off. Except maybe the dead guy. Or maybe on occasion a witness or wounded one who's willing to talk. Maybe that makes it all worthwhile, I dunno.