more on the S&W agreement

tackdriver

Sold out for nothing? Hardly -- look at this AP story.

Smith & Wesson Earns Preference

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Department of Housing and Urban Development and the mayors of Atlanta, Detroit and Miami moved today to see that their law enforcement agencies give preference to Smith & Wesson when buying guns and called on others to follow suit. The directive gives preference to "any gun makers that adopt a new code of responsible conduct." Smith & Wesson signed an unprecedented agreement with the Clinton administration yesterday to include safety locks with all of its handguns. In return, the agreement calls for federal, state and city lawsuits against the gun maker to be dropped and says no new suits will be filed seeking to hold them responsible for shootings committed with their guns.

Erik

Its a political move, through and through. It is borderline crooked on the government's part- "Do this and we will make the lawsuites go away and give you special treatment." But hey, there is a "positive" headline to be gained! :(

James K

Member In Memoriam
One report says that not only are other cities going ahead with the suits, but that some of the mayors that agreed have reneged. And the gun control gang is opposing the whole thing because they don't want "smart" guns - they want no guns. Some lunatics have even advocated house-to-house searches by the military and the summary execution of anyone even suspected of owning a gun of any kind. Think those people will "compromise"?

Jim

Tecolote

Yeah, they'll give preference to S&W in consiering them. Then they'll buy Glocks and SIG Sauers like they've been doing for years. S&W has lost contracts because in comparison to Glock, SIG and Beretta they make an inferior product.

Say what you want S&W put its interests before that of the law abiding gun community. I won't buy anything from them ever again and I'll make darn sure that my friends don't either.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

tackdriver

Tecolote,
I hope you don't think that I was supporting S&W!!! Hell NO! I just posted that to show what a bunch of back-dealing, sell out bastards they are. I am 100% that this preferential treatment was part of their dealings with the govt. The media is like, "wow, what a surprise." I'm sure this was agreed on before hand. As to Glock, I hear they're thinking of following suit.