More on Swiss K-31 Accuracy

Dave R

The K-31 got new (lower) rings on her Darrel's Scout Scope mount. Had to sight in the scope with the new rings today. Best group was MOA--.95 inch at 100 yards. This is with a 2.5X Scout Scope (NCStar, cheap Chinese) on said Darrel's mount.

The load is my handload:
.284Win brass resized & trimmed
150gr. Speer Hot-Cor bullet
over 43gr. of H335, with a Speer 250 primer.

It runs about 2550fps. A little lighter than a .308. And a little lighter than Swiss GP-11 ammo. But there's nothing wrong with the accuracy.

Not bad for a rifle born in 1935, and unaltered except for the scout scope and slight loosening of the front barrel band (a trick I learned at SwissRifles.com.)

Just had to share my :D

(eta the pic I forgot)

Attachments

• K-31 Group.JPG
    K-31 Group.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 192

jrfoxx

Sounds real nice. Just got my first K31 a week or so ago and cant wait to shoot it. Seems like a great, cheap, accurate as heck milsurp for $80. Nice looking too. Cant wait to see how it shoots. Will take a little getting used to that straight-pull bolt though...very smooth and fast, but a bit of a 'foreign' concept to those of us used to 'regular' bolt guns. does the gp-11 ammo give you pretty good accuracy? I hear very good things on it for milsurp ammo, and handloading for this gun (trimming brass and all) is a bit out of my league at the moment...

smince

First time I shot my K31 was with the GP11 ammo. AT 50 yds, just resting over the hood of my jeep, I had a 2" shooters spot on a piece of printer paper.

Of the six rounds in the mag, five were touching at the top of the spot. I had threw my first shot off, as I flinched anticipating heavier recoil than the gun actually has.:D

This was with the iron sights. It is much more accurate than the the shooter. I have a scout-type mount and scope, but haven't had time or good weather to shoot it.

Toney

Mine always shoot under 1 1/2" at 100yds, payed $120 for it. Would like to get one to sporterize

Limeyfellow

The K31 is an awesome rifle and you can't argue with a price that gives you accuracy greater than many rifles costing 4-5 times as much. I am thinking of getting my second one.

DanM2000

Full agreement here. My 1936 model is wonderfully accurate. Have Darrel's scout mount and NCstar scope. Had to send two of the crappy scopes back before I got a good one. Recticle shot loose on the first, and replacement was skewed out of the box. Third is OK so far. Getting the OAL right on reloads is a bit tricky. The excellent GP11 ammo has a VLD design bullet, and the K31 chamber is cut to match. US made .308 bullets like the Sierra or Hornady match 168s have a fatter profile, and must be loaded unusually short to keep them off the lands. They do work fine when you get it right. Graff and sons has good 7.5 Swiss brass, so you dont have to use 284 any more. I want another already....

Dave R

Getting the OAL right on reloads is a bit tricky.
Yup. You really have to check chamber length with a candled bullet or whatever. The folks at swissrifles.com say the Sierra 175 MatchKing (?) has a profile closest to GP11. Bullet weight is the same, too.

Has anybody seen or tried the new Wolf 7.5 Swiss? Not that I'm a fan of Wolf...just curious.

FirstFreedom

Outstanding.

I laugh heartily on the inside (but in a roll-the-eyes sort of way), when I see guns like the K31 I saw at the gun show today, which have been sporterized, usually always in the stock at least, which lowers their value, yet have an asking price far higher than a collectible milsurp. Today I saw a sporterized K31 for get this... $250. So, I'm gonna pay a little more than 3 times as much as I would for an unadultered rifle which is actually worth more? Hmmm, k. See it all the time.