More comfortable Glock trigger?

flintlock.50

I LOVE my Glock 19. It's more accurate than I am and I've NEVER had a jam of any kind. My only complaint is the trigger. Recoil forces the trigger up into the underside of my trigger finger. The relatively narrow trigger and the trigger safety make this quite uncomfortable with any significant amount of shooting. Lately I've been shooting Speer Gold Dot but even cheap plinking ammo has enough recoil to produce the same effect. What's the solution? Is a more comfortable trigger available?

Thanks

thedudeabides

Part of the "perfection" of the Glock is the trigger. You either get used to it, or get a different gun. There is no real trigger job or replacement I've seen or shot that you can get for a Glock that improves it.

Even Lone Wolf's "custom made" Glocks aren't that great.

flintlock.50

I have no problem with the trigger's function, only its comfort level (or lack thereof) after shooting more than a few magazines.

P5 Guy

Does the G19 come with a "target" trigger? as opposed to the "combat" trigger?
Target having ridges running parallel with the safety and Combat being smooth except for the safety.
I know one can purchase these from many Glock parts vendors.

Dan-O

I think you have it backwards. The "Target" trigger face is smooth, as opposed to the serrated "Combat" trigger. The G-19 comes with the serrated trigger. I prefer the "Target" triggers on my Glocks.

flintlock.50

My trigger is serrated. I suspect a smooth trigger would be a bit more comfortable. I have the same problem with my S&W model 642. Being lightweight, it kicks. But it's not my hand that suffers, it's the underside of my trigger finger. I'll have to investigate the target trigger for my Glock.

dogtown tom

Dan-O I think you have it backwards. The "Target" trigger face is smooth, as opposed to the serrated "Combat" trigger. The G-19 comes with the serrated trigger. I prefer the "Target" triggers on my Glocks.
Nope, you have it backwards.
The reason the Glock Compact and SubCompact frames have a "target" trigger (grooved) has to do with the ATF Factoring Criteria for Imported Firearms. Features such as "target" triggers, adjustable sights and "target" grips add enough points to allow the importation of the smaller Glocks. Without such a feature they would not earn enough points to make it here.

The idea that a "target" trigger is grooved dates back to pre 1968 when grooved trigger faces were called target triggers by gun manufacturers.

A story told in my Armorers class is that Glock ships smaller frames from Austria with adjustable installed, once in the USA they remove them, install fixed sights and then send the used adj sights back to Austria.

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5330-5.pdf

Replacing the G19/23/26/27 trigger with a "smooth" one is easy, just order the G17/22 trigger.

giaquir

There is no real trigger job or replacement I've seen or shot that you can get for a Glock that improves it.

BS--I have a Glock 19, That I installed a competition spring kit in
and a V4 race connector as well as some polishing and it is pure
delight to shoot. Smooth, light and miles ahead of what it used to be.

Bongo Boy

I've asked the guys at Zev Technologies (glockworx) to consider producing their aluminum trigger (smooth, square face) all solid, with no slot at all for the trigger safety. They may not want to do that, of course, so my plan is to take the Fulcrum trigger to the local machinist and have it duplicate it out of steel--with no safety.

I have the same problem with trigger finger pinch and I don't believe it has anything to do with the connector, the trigger weight, smoothness or anything else--I believe it's cause in good part because of the fairly strong safety spring on the Fulcrums, and the resulting irregular surface the finger has to deal with.

I mocked-up what I wanted using a regular trigger, removing the grooves in the trigger face, pulling the safety completely out and replacing the slot with epoxy. Worked quite well but the epoxy can't stand up to the recoil and eventually fractures. Solid steel will work real nice I think.

JohnKSa

Administrator
They may not want to do that, of course, so my plan is to take the Fulcrum trigger to the local machinist and have it duplicate it out of steel--with no safety.
ZEV probably won't agree to do it because such a modification will result in the pistol no longer being drop safe. A machinist might do it.

The trigger safety is a critical part of the drop safety design. Eliminating the trigger safety means that there is only spring tension restraining the trigger bar. Since the motion of the trigger bar disengages the other two passive safeties, their function is compromised as well.

Going from a plastic to a steel trigger will increase the inertia of the trigger and trigger bar making it more easily moved by a drop/impact.

I would expect that dropping a Glock that has been modified as you describe, would very likely result in the gun discharging on impact, if it lands muzzle up.

allaroundhunter

I've asked the guys at Zev Technologies (glockworx) to consider producing their aluminum trigger (smooth, square face) all solid, with no slot at all for the trigger safety. They may not want to do that, of course, so my plan is to take the Fulcrum trigger to the local machinist and have it duplicate it out of steel--with no safety.

I have the same problem with trigger finger pinch and I don't believe it has anything to do with the connector, the trigger weight, smoothness or anything else--I believe it's cause in good part because of the fairly strong safety spring on the Fulcrums, and the resulting irregular surface the finger has to deal with.

I mocked-up what I wanted using a regular trigger, removing the grooves in the trigger face, pulling the safety completely out and replacing the slot with epoxy. Worked quite well but the epoxy can't stand up to the recoil and eventually fractures. Solid steel will work real nice I think.

I would more recommend not going that route.... You are asking for an ND (yes, that would be negligent) that could very well end up hurting or killing someone. There are better ways to avoid being pinched by the trigger safety than intentionally doing away with one if the only safety systems in the gun.

roscoerules

smooth trigger

As Dogtown Tom said, replace it with a g17 trigger.

I had the same issue with my G19 and put a g17 trigger in it.

bledsoeG19

My glock 19 has a Travis Haley skimmer kit in it. Kit comes with a smooth faced glock 17/22 trigger along with trigger bar fpd and striker spring. Feels great.

As Dogtown Tom said, replace it with a g17 trigger.

I had the same issue with my G19 and put a g17 trigger in it.

Another one here. I have the smooth faced trigger on my Glock 19 from a Glock 17. I love it that way...I felt bad for my Glock 17 though, so I bought it another smooth face trigger after I swapped them out. (I carry and use the Glock 19 a lot more)

pete2

The tip of the trigger on a Glock gouges my finger. I had a Taurus that did the same thing. I don't know why. I have no problems with grooved triggers on autos or revolvers but I can't handle the trigger bite.

Bongo Boy

JohnKSa and allaroundhunter are correct, off course, and in addition the mod would render the gun disqualified if one ever wanted to shoot it in IDPA, for example.

I calculate it would take about 100g's of impact to overcome a 2.5lb trigger--I wonder if that's reasonable, dropped perfectly onto concrete for example. Seems it might be possible--although with that magic polymer shock absorbing frame it might be tough. :)

Sarge

All that's really needed here is a safety lever that sits a little closer to flush with the trigger face, when depressed. It can't sit completely flush when depressed, to avoid boo-boo's when in a hurry. But I'm a little surprised some enterprising soul hasn't offered it as an aftermarket part.