More Brady BS

Paul B.

George. I hear that after sometime in November, all firearms brought in for repair must be subject to a background check. Not the guns, the owners. Is this true?
Paul B.

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Paul, that's a new one on me. I haven't heard one thing about it and if it were true the BATF would have already put out a notice to licensed gunsmiths. George

Bullmoose

I think that this was true here in Kalifornia, but was rescinded. Also there was a requirment that if you left a gun on consignment and it didn't sell you had to go through another background check, same thing with guns hocked at a pawn shop. I think there was enough pressure from the businesses to get those kicked out, but I am not really positive..... Jim

Joe Portale

Hi folks,

Yes, the BATF or Klinton cronies wanted to expand the NICs checks to cover firearms pickups from gunsmmiths. The request died in the senate oversite committee. Then it was added to the last gun control bill (Luatenberg?) that was defeated a few months ago.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

Paul B.

George. There was an article in the November 1998 FIELD & STREAM on this. I had a rifle in the process of being built up at that time, and I was worried about all this background check BS. (My personal opinion is that it is none of the governments business what I own, or wish to own.) He had received notification way back then on this. We looked it over and it said November of 1999. If there has been a change, I haven't heard of it.
I think that notice came out around August or September of 1998, but I am not sure.
I would appreciate an update, if you have it.
Fact is, a pen pal brought it up. I had forgotten it completely. He said it was in the NOV. issue of F&S. When I couldn't find it, I looked back at last year's and it was there. Never saw any updates though. Wish they'd follow through on that stuff.
Paul B.