More beginner's question: Plinking

omaha64

I've been browsing the groups in this forum and came across references to the term "plinking". I kinda gather the meaning from the sound of the word, but to be sure, I Googled and found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plinking

What I cannot understand is the legality of the activity. Please enlighten a beginner on these:

1) If I have a big enough property, can I just legally "plinked" in my backyard?
2) If I don't have the luxury of big rural property, can I just find a wooded area and start plinking?
3) What laws govern what and where I can shoot my guns? I guess that there must me designated hunting areas.
4) Also found some posts about people using pellet guns to shoot pesky birds in their backyard; is it legal to shoot birds and squirrels in your own backyard.

TIA

slow944

Plinking

Plinking is where you have a weapon that shoots inexpensive ammo and you go out on your own property or to the local range and just fire off a lot off ammo..(ie) 22 ammo, sometimes 9mm if its cheap enough, or any other if you reload alot. When I go plinking I usually take my 22lr revolver and a couple of boxes of cheap 22 ammo and make a day of just shootin at different targets. Another word for plinking is having "fun" shooting. Not necessarily serious practice..........Hope this helps explain it a little better.

deadin

IMO slow944 has given a good definition of "plinking".
As for your "legal" questions, it's all a matter of your local laws and ordinances. Remember to check city, county, State (and Federal if you are planning to shoot in a National Forest, etc.)
Re pellet guns. I've found that most places that have ordinances concerning firearms usually include pellet guns in with them.

webbee

I would say it depends on where you live. You will have to check local city, county, state laws to find your answer. Most cities have anti-firearm discharge laws, so I would guess that is out for you. Counties in rural areas usually don't regulate, while counties that are encompassed by cities do. Private property, that you don't own, is usually by permision of owner, except where regulated as noted. Self owned private property is still governed by city/county/state laws. Some states have anti-firing statutes from/across roadways.

omaha64

I see. Now I have to look up the local laws. I live in West Palm Beach. Does anyone have more information about this locale to pass on?

Thanks

omaha64

Smokin Joe,

I've been hitting the ranges here too; but I agree with the previous posts in that it would be more fun to shoot things other than paper targets while working on your techniques.

deadin

I haven't been in West Palm in a whole lotta years, -something like 45-, but I seem to remember that it was pretty well built up even then. You may be stuck with range shooting unless you're willing to travel a long ways.

punkkin

We pretty much only go to the desert anymore. Ranges are fun...but being able to do what you want and shoot what you want is much more fun.

Samurai

Ok. Lots of questions here... Let's see...

1) If I have a big enough property, can I just legally "plinked" in my backyard?
2) If I don't have the luxury of big rural property, can I just find a wooded area and start plinking?
3) What laws govern what and where I can shoot my guns? I guess that there must me designated hunting areas.

You are allowed to fire a weapon anywhere you want to... unless it's prohibited. Almost all cities have a local ordinance forbidding the discharge of firearms within city limits. (City dwellers must go out into the county.) In such cities, permits are usually available for gun ranges, but the ranges have to conform to certain safety standards... If you're not in the city, and there are no other prohibitions (tresspassing on private property, etc...), you can shoot.

4) Also found some posts about people using pellet guns to shoot pesky birds in their backyard; is it legal to shoot birds and squirrels in your own backyard.

Wild animals found on a piece of property belong to the owner of the property. If they're your birds, you can shoot them... UNLESS: 1. They are a protected/endangered species; or 2. Your property falls within an area in which discharge of firearms is prohibited (i.e., in the city). If you use a pellet gun, or a slingshot, etc..., and it's a common species, then you can shoot birds on your property all you want. (No Whooping Cranes, Bald Eagles, Condors, or Dodo Birds, though!)

Don H

If you use a pellet gun.....and it's a common species, then you can shoot birds on your property all you want.
Some municipalities prohibit this and/or classify a pellet gun as a firearm. As always, investigate the laws that may apply.

Tokamak

plinking sound

I think the term plinking comes from the use of tin cans for target practice. They would make a plink noise when hit.

The tin can indicates shooting for fun. If you are doing serious marksman practice you would be using some kind of graduated target like a bullseye with rings.

That's what I think.

Majic

Plinking is where you have a weapon that shoots inexpensive ammo and you go out on your own property or to the local range and just fire off a lot off ammo.
Where the vast majority of plinking is done with the .22lr the caliber and the expense of the ammo is not a factor. Plinking is done with any firearm firing any ammunition. It is just informal target shooting at random targets of opportunity. I've been plinking with handguns up to .44 magnum and rifles up to .45-70. Cans, dirt clods, tree banches, pine cones, or anything that catches your eye makes for potential targets.

lockedcj7

Wild animals found on a piece of property belong to the owner of the property...

Actually not true in most states and certainly not in SC! Here game animals are the property of 'the people' and are therefore under government control. You must have a hunting license and obey all pertinent hunting regulations and seasons, even on your own property. Non-game species such as feral hogs or coyotes don't have a season per se but are considered game when hunted and you must have a license and obey the hunting regulations for them as well.

If the animals were purchased by the landowner and are held in an enclosure, they can be hunted year-round without a license just like fish in a pond. (Pen-raised quail, exotic species, etc.)

In addition to that, virtually all birds are migratory and come under jurisdiction of the USFWS. It is illegal to kill any non-game migratory bird, even a black-bird or buzzard. Non-native species like European Starlings are not protected, unless by local statute.

In SC, fur-bearing mammals (skunk, weasel, raccoon, etc.) may be killed during the open season for them with the appropriate hunting/trapping license but game laws apply. You can 'plink' them any time if they are within 100 feet of your home and are a nuisance, otherwise you are supposed to obtain a nuisance depredation permit from the state Department of Natural Resources.

If you're really lucky, one of your neighbors will be an animal-rights nut who will make sure you're charged with felony animal cruelty when you shoot that squirrel with a pellet gun.