Moonclip question

VictorLouis

My only experience with them so far has been with a .45ACP gun which I have since sold. I'd like to know if their use with a .357 gun is basically the same. IOW, do the clips hold the rounds loosely so that they flop around? Are they just as much of a pain to insert and extract from the clip(even with the Dillon tool)? Are they just as fragile? Thanks.:)

You might want to look at www.moonclips.com

I have experience with two different calibers. In my S&W 45 ACP, made, I think, in 1990, they work perfectly. In my S&W Performance Center 40 S&W model 646 they don't work worth a damn. Actually I'm amazed at exactly how poor the reliability of that currently made gun is. REALLY bad.

You can get tools to easily remove cases from the clips.

VictorLouis

Thanks, Ken. I have been to the site, but it does not go into that sort of detail. I know that the revo cartridges install similarly, that is, the clip engages the little groove just above the rim. In the ACP, I found that you must orient the gun and clip almost perfectly vertical for smooth insertion of the rounds. If anything is off-kilter a litte, the clip must be jiggled and wiggled to get it into place, much like the HKS speedloader.

All moon clips are a pain in the butt. The 627 is the worst of the bunch, inserting that eighth bullet stinks. Luckily I slow fire everything, hand eject (not a problem with the 627) and don't bother using the moon clips. Only shoot five at a time too. Once I worked the bugs out of the 646, had no choice but to use the clips, but also solved the dual width clip issue. Now it can fire either width clip with any bullet manufacture or homegrown if I chose.

Robert

sw627pc

Well since I was using the 627 for plate shooting for a while, with full moon clips for fast reloading I can say that:

1. Yes the .357 clips are a pain in the fingers, although I find removing the empties worse than loading them.

2. They work extremely well for reloading in a hurry (particularly with either a LRN or a HP bullet with a fairly round nose). Point in fact, in shooting plates I could fire eight rounds, reload and get the first round off from the second batch about as fast as most people could fire six and reload and fire the seventh.

3. One big advantage over speedloaders is that the empties tend to come out much easier, and of course you don't have that "one" case that hangs up.

4. I bought the gun used, and it came with 10 clips. No idea how much use it had, although I had to SCRUB the gun repeatedly. Clips have been used extensively for three more years now, still no problems

banjobart

My 627 PC works fine with moon clips. The latest available moon clips fpr the 8-shot are thicker .025" steel which is stiffer. I reload faster than with Comp III speedloaders.

I do use the 627 8-shot without moonclips for practice much of the time to avoid warping the fragile moonclips. The 8 shot clips are on sale at:

www.moonclips.com