Montana game law question:

MeekAndMild

I have one quick and simple question regarding Montana game law. What is the magazine capacity limit for hunting deer/elk/bear?

(My personal guess is either 4 + 1 in the chamber or 5 + 1 in the chamber, but I couldn't find the info on their website.)

vetteracer92

I havn't seen anything on the limits either. Just don't show up with a 30 round magazine.:D How many did you plan on needing? I used my k31 has a 5 rounds in it. Some might worry if you use a 100 rnd drum out deer hunting.

HAMMER1DOWN

The limit is 5 rounds but you can get away with 7.
This last deer season i got caught with a 30 round mag for my AR-15 and had to convince the warden that it was only to be used in case i seen a coyote and not for deer. I had a legal 5 rounder in my rifle but he was pretty flustered about it still so i unloaded the mag and seperated the two for him. It would have been a big fine and a forfeiture of my gun if i had been shooting deer with my 30 rounder.
Hope that helps

BONES

MeekAndMild

How many did you plan on needing?
Belt fed quad 50 on a pillar mount with your basic 9 yard belts. Just kidding. :D

Seriously though I'm thinking mostly about the question of 4+1 or 5+1 as one of the rifles I want to carry if I get an elk/deer hunt has a 5 round mag and I wanted to know if I'd need to modify it so it will only hold 4. The other has a 7 round mag so I know I'm going to have to plug it, but the question was still 4 or 5. (I don't think they make a 30 round mag at all for this particular rifle.)

The limit is 5 rounds but you can get away with 7.
So that is 5 rounds in the magazine itself right and not in the mag plus chamber?

HAMMER1DOWN

Hey Meek as long as you don't have over 7 in your rifle you will be fine but just to make sure i would call fish and game. I was told this by a "younger- just-out-of-traing-guys" so who knows. but with elk you more than likely ain't gonna get more than two or three shots if you miss.
Hope this helps,
Bones

MeekAndMild

Thanks, Denny. I did a search on the whole 16mb file and they didn't mention capacity at all.

you should only need one or perhaps two
You're right about that. In all my hunting career I've never gotten off more than 2 shots at a single game animal. But I'm more interested in state laws which prohibit certain hardware than in the actual use of cartridges. I seldom carry more than a few unless I'm going out for a camping hunt and that is mostly so I can change them out if one gets deformed in the loading/unloading process.

mudflat

Magazine capacity in Montana.

I just called WFP in Montana. I was told there is no law in Montana regarding magazine capacity for hunting, except for ducks. Use a plug to restrict your shots to 3.