Monarch Ammo

So Academy Sports has Monarch 55 gr. Soft Point and FMJ .223 ammo for $9.99 a box. It is brass cased and the price is pretty good these days as long as the ammo is worth it. So my question is, does anyone have any experience with this ammo? If so, is it good, bad or in between?

ar15chase

I have shot quiet a bit of the Academy Monarch ammo, when I first got into AR's, back then I could buy it for $3.50 a box. I think here it is $7 now Its not a bad ammo. Better than Wolf. Not near as good as the PMC or Winchesters. But I have never seen it in a brass case.....

ar15chase

Well I cant say I have ever shot Wolf Gold. I shot the Military Classic a bit. Didnt like it. Me personally I just stay away from anything Wolf now days. For the extra buck you get a better more reliable bullet. Not to mention less stress on the gun for a high volume shooter. I hate having to scrub melted laquer with a brush.

zoomie

The Wolf Gold though isn't lacquered or otherwise a pain. It's just plain brass cased ammo. Not the most accurate and not the cleanest burning, but nothing remarkably negative for most of us.

armedtotheteeth

It is good ammo. I bought about 1000 rounds when I bought my Ar a few years back. It smells kinda funny, and is very damned dirty, but, it shoots ok. I wouldnt use it in any matches or anything, but for shooting rocks and cans, and the occasional wooley booger, itll work.
It is pretty good brass for reloading. Some of my mostest bestest loads have been with the Monarch "NNY" Brass. It seems to last quite a while.
Buy it, then , reload it.

armedtotheteeth

ive never tried it. I found a good budget bullet and stuck with it. If I really got to shoot stuff, I use my handloads, usually loaded with Monarch brass and Hornady Vmaxs

ForneyRider

Federal 50gr bulk is about 38cents a round, very accurate, and reloadable. It is HP so you can shoot it at Garland range. They don't allow FMJ on the rifle range.

Remington came out with some bulk recently. I think it is 38cents a round.

Next price level up is 50cents a round.

scorpion_tyr

I've never had a problem with Monarch handgun ammo. I have a lot stocked up for in 7.62x39 and 54R. Haven't fired any of it yet, but their handgun ammo was always nice to me. In my FNP-40 it has always been the most accurate ammo.