Monarch Ammo?

Larry C.

Howdy,

Who's used Monarch ammo? It's as cheap as CCI Blazer locally. It's lacqured, I know that. I'm told that the local LE uses it at thier academy for training. One local told me that it's not as dirty as Wolfe. Anyone?

Larry C.

n3twrkm4n

A little reading for you...

Link 1 (Newsgroup msg)
Google Groups Link 1 (Re: Monarch bullets)

Barnaul produces ammo under the Barnaul, Monarch, and RAM brands. The RAM stands for Russian Ammunition Manufacturing.

There are two different Russian factories supplying ammo to the US: Wolf (Tula) and Barnaul. Wolf advertises no steel in their ammo. My experience is with the Barnaul that comes in a red, white & blue box. This is Berdan primed, steel cased with a green lacquer coating that hides in the grass. The bullet is steel jacketed (FMJ) with a copper plating. This is my "plinking ammo". It's been 100% surefire with no failures to feed, chamber or extract and no split cases. The flash seems to vary from a 2" ball to a 12" ball, though the sound and felt recoil are consistent (subjective, not instrumented). I've let a number of people fire this in my 20" HBAR kit gun (Wilson barrel chambered by Model 1 Sales), accuracy seems to be 3" to 4" from an elbow support, sitting at a bench with iron A2 sights. Cleanliness is similar to other ammo I've fired. Bore or throat wear from steel jackets, I have no way of measuring. Recovered bullets show rifling engraving similar to copper jacketed from this rifle. No exposed steel under 25x magnification. I'm happy with this ammo for plinking. Bought it from ammoman.com. Excellent delivery, next day as part of the ammo price. Submitted by: Norm Glitz norman.t.glitz@lmco.com

The following are reviews of Barnaul ammo (monarch etc. etc.) They are made by the same company so would expect same usage information: the reviews are from customers of MidwayUSA.com

Rating:
Date Posted: 6/27/2004

Review:
Good ammo, no problems at all. This is the original Makarov load and works well in all of my 9x18 pistols.

Was this review helpful? Yes | No
21 found it helpful | 1 did not
Buck Gremel of Olympia, WA
Rating:
Date Posted: 2/13/2005

Review:
This ammo is hard to beat in terms of price versus performance. Velocities are reasonably consistent and accuracy is about average. I've not experienced any failures to fire or feed. No squibs or hangfires either. It is a little dirty but it is not corrosive. Five stars for value.

2 found it helpful | 0 did not
J C of Brandon, ms
Rating:
Date Posted: 10/18/2004

Review:
Great ammo period. Price is great and very reliable.

10 found it helpful | 2 did not
Dennis Mitchell of Alexander, AR
Rating:
Date Posted: 1/31/2005

Review:
I have shot 3 different brands of ammunition in my Bulgarian Makarov and found this to be the most reliable and economical. The performance is superior to the other two more expensive brands. For paper targets and steel plates this is a great value for the money.

6 found it helpful | 1 did not
Lester Culver of Covington, LA
Rating:
Date Posted: 8/30/2004

Review:
The ammo is fine. I've used this ammo before and expect that it will shoot well in my Makarov. Most of all your service was rapid.

7 found it helpful | 2 did not