Monarch 9mm brass

Oysterboy

9mm was so hard to find around here so when I went to Academy today they have the shelves full of Monarch ammo, 9mm, 40sw and 45acp. I picked up four 50rnd boxes of 9mm 115 FMJs for $12.99 a box.

I never shot them before so have y'all?

By the way they got some steel cased ammo as well and cheaper but I don't care for steel.

carguychris

FWIW all of the Monarch-brand brass-cased ammo I've ever purchased was made by Prvi Partizan, a major European ammo manufacturer located in Serbia. This is based on the "PPU" headstamps and "MADE IN SERBIA" legends on the boxes.

I have reservations about using jacketed hollow-point Prvi Partizan ammo for CCW, based on a dearth of info about its real-world ballistic performance, but OTOH their inexpensive FMJ practice ammo is more or less equivalent to that produced by the major American manufacturers. I've used plenty of it without any problems. (I don't think Academy even offers Monarch-brand JHP ammo, but given the recent ammo shortage, I'm not going to dismiss the possibility.)

Oysterboy

That's interesting because I've shot a box of PPU FMJs with no problem. If it's pretty much the same ammo then I guess I did good.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Hmm... PPU on the headstamp so it's the same after all.

KMAX

(I don't think Academy even offers Monarch-brand JHP ammo, but given the recent ammo shortage, I'm not going to dismiss the possibility.)

They do indeed. I have bought 357Mag and 40 in JHP.FWIW. I have shot better and worse ammo.

qwiksdraw

I shoot tons of Monarch in 45ACP, 9Mm and 380AP. I never had a bad round, it's shoots cleaner than a lot of other brands and is consistent. Even their steel cased ammo is a good alternate...especially if you want to save even more money!!!!

Oysterboy

Went to the range today and shot two boxes. All fired but a few shot harder.

Pretty good accuracy too. Out of 100 I missed Mr Green twice. :p

s3779m

Have only shot revolver in monarch. Did ok. let us know how it does in the 9mm. Price seems too good to be true. ( or a 10 year flash back)

skizzums

its all works just fine, they even sell brass 223 for 6,99 a box, does just fine, pretty accurate

but i agree not to use the hollow points for anything other than practice, i still have a bunch, ill upload a pic, it looks like they take a jacketed round to a belt sander then drill a hole in it, really!!!

monarchHP_zpsfebb2d4f.jpg
[/URL]

skizzums

after looking at it and seeing the serrerations on the jacket, its prob not just taken to a belt sander, but still looks pretty shoddy, but the bonus is, they dont cost any more than ball