Moly question

David R

I bought a gun that had been shooting moly coated bullets. It came with a couple boxes too. I have shot some of those and some regular jacketed.

What does it do, why did folks stop using it? Can I clean it out of the barrel? Its a 308.

David

condor bravo

Well, one of its advantages is that barrels do not need cleaning as often. I shoot numerous moly lead rifle bullets in various calibers and the no cleaning part works for me since I hardly clean barrels anyway, molys or others. However, if you want to make sure the barrel is free from moly, Moly Magic bore cleaner can be obtained from Bore Tech Inc., www.boretech.com. I have used it so I don't completely ignore cleaning barrels. Not quite sure why it fell from grace, have heard answers, but another responder or two will be able to fill that in. The bullets (l buy cast lead molys commercially rather than preparing the coating myself) do give good accuracy and I use them for reduced loads. Oh, I think another advantage is to decrease barrel friction. However, if doing considerable reduced load shooting, the price is right and they are excellent for that purpose.

Last edited:

SHR970

Dry Moly is somewhat hygroscopic but that isn't usually much of an issue in gun barrels due to a variety of factors (other byproducts of fouling). Usually, the issue people seem to have is the build up of the moly......too much of a good thing and a sludge they don't seem to understand. Moreover, the usual cleaning products have issues removing the sludge of moly+powder+lead+copper fouling.

In short, people misunderstand the use and application of Moly and how it actually works. The moly coated bullets are an example of too mcuh of a good thing.

Personally, I clean a gun real good, then in the oil the barrel step, I apply a light coating of moly infused oil. Heat and friction will make the moly bond to the barrel. You do not need a lot of the stuff to do the job. I have most of a 1 lb. can of dry moly that is about 20 years old...more than enough for my battery of guns, projects, and other uses.

just my $.02

Last edited:

David R

I think I want to remove all traces of moly and shoot conventional bullets.

Could moly fouling cause poor accuracy?

I would like to start with a spotless barrel.

David

condor bravo

It's certainly possible that any moly coating build up could affect accuracy, but probably any real determination would have to come from a before and after test. Clean the barrel with conventional means and then fire a few groups with premium ammunition like the Federal 168 gr Gold Medal Match. If end up shooting the desired 1" groups or better (or whatever is good for the rifle), probably no follow up is needed. However, if grouping is bad or worse, then obtain the Moly Magic from Boretech, clean out all the moly, and re-test with the same ammunition. Although we have to some extent been promoting the use of moly bullets, this does not mean that you should do the same.

Last edited:

Jeffm004

Be sure it is Moly and not Hi-tec. I have heard Hi-tec does not coat the barrel. I'm loading now to find out.

Clark

I built a 6mmRem I have not shot yet.
I loaded some ammo for it today.
I like moly coating for bullets faster than 2700 fps.
I try not to go over 3500 fps, even with moly.
I hate Copper fouling.

So I touched the bullets I moly coated.
You can see my dirty fingerprints on the ammo box labels.
Then I started wearing rubber gloves. I cleaned up the bathroom sink before the wife got home.

The guys I hunt with have take 12 years to learn how to use moly. They have been envious of my small groups, but they can't stand to listen to me.

Attachments

• 6mmREM ammo and disposable gloves for moly 7-15-2015.jpg
    6mmREM ammo and disposable gloves for moly 7-15-2015.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 43

10-96

At one time I entertained the thought of experimenting with moly. However, I think the direction I'm leaning towards these days is HBN- Hexagonal Boron Nitride. http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=78

To the OP question of it being cleaned out- I don't know for sure. I've heard it's quite a chore to get it all out, but I've also heard that it's really not that difficult. I hope someone comes along with a good explanation of it.

Last edited:

condor bravo

The Moly Magic bore cleaner from Boretech makes the cleaning fast and easy. The patches from the initial application through the barrel come out like they came from a coal mine, but patches from follow up applications look similar to using regular Hoppe's, et al bore cleaners. But in the OP's situation, just for a one time cleaning, it's probably not worth the time, effort and expense to go the Moly Magic route. That is, unless he is getting something like 4" groups with Federal Gold Match ammunition which might result in a hugh improvement by scrubbing with Moly Magic (but I doubt it).

Last edited:

Mobuck

Just give it a normal cleaning and shoot it. Continue to clean often and after while the moly will be gone. Trying aggressive cleaning methods simply to remove the moly is counter productive.
I moly coated the bore of my old .308 HB long range rifle years ago when I was shooting quite a bit. It made cleaning easy and quick and had no apparent effect on accuracy. I haven't applied any for 4-5 years(150-200 rounds) and 8-10 cleanings. It seems that the moly is gone but I don't feel the need for the treatment any more.

David R

I cleaned it with hoppes #9 and one other solvent I had. I scrubbed the bore, let it sit for a while then run a patch. The first one was all black. After a few more scrub and soak, the patch came out oil colored.

Next is to shoot it !

David

schmellba99

I always thought moly lost it's shine because it tends to trap moisture, and not cleaning it thoroughly from the bore could cause pitting. Maybe I'm thinking of something else though.

condor bravo

Yes you are correct about the tendency of moly to trap moisture. I had a possible issue with that with a Mdl-700 .458 Win that had used moly bullets for reduced loads and developed pits in the chamber (but not the barrel) to the extent that the bolt eventually had to be opened with a mallet after firing (it took quite some time to develop to that extent). Fix was a rather expensive barrel replacement. This was kicked around a bit within a forum thread but no one else had experienced something similar or had a plausible explanation for the occurance. Pitting in the chamber rather than the barrels was the most puzzling factor. Whether the moly bullets were to blame could not be established but had to be recognized as a possibility. Perhaps you are referring to this incident.

Last edited:

David R

I cleaned it, and shot it today. Getting 2 1/4" with military ball.
1 1/4" with the moly coated 168 HPBT that came with the gun.

I also shot what was an impressive target for me about 2.5" with irons off the bench.

I am going to clean it a couple more times and see if it will shoot better.

I am also going to buy a box of Federal Match like suggested above.

Its a loaded M1A

David

cdoc42

About ten years ago I started to moly coat bullets, I generally saw a reduction in velocity and no increase in accuracy. Cleaning was a challenge because the swabs continuously came out black, leaving me with no real idea that the rile was clean. I had a Sako in 7mm STW that shot less than 1 MOA at 100 yards but I moly'd bullets to reduce the need to clean it. Bad move. Eventually the groups opened up to over 4 inches no matter what I did. Since my hands got black from the moly process, but cleaned up real well with soap and water, I spent one entire week cleaning it every night with every product Owned, in addition to soap, water, and powdered Boraxo. Never got a clean swab no matter how long I did it. Put the rifle in the back of the safe.

I never moly'd bullets again but in retrospect I probably should have moly'd the barrel and not the bullets, but that was not the advice at the time.

David R

Thank you. I cleaned it again. Could not find federal match.
Last time, I shot 2 1/4" with military ammo and 1 3/16" and 1 1/2" with HPBT.

Trying again today.
The first patch is black. After 3 scrubbings, it comes out clean.

I also get NO green on the patch. No copper fouling unless it's under the moly.

Last edited:

David R

Got a 3 shot group worth something.

179a22ee71bcc16c9dd14edd36f75581.jpg

Thi s is more normal so far
df150ff213dc3a31293685a534371684.jpg

I keep cleaning....

David

David R

Don't know if anyone is paying attention.

I bought a new steel rifle rest and some ZQ 308 ammo at Wally World. I also bought a box of federal 150 SP.

All in all, I am getting up to 1.5" with good ammo and 2.5" with military ball with 5 shots.

Going to make one more attempt at federal match ammo after work. I'll take the bike to caballa's.

Next is JB bore cleaner.

David

condor bravo

Yes, I'm keeping up with your progress. If you were located somewhere in WCA rather than WNY, you could maybe bring the rifle by and we could give it a good cleaning with Moly Bagic bore cleaner. The rifle may reach its potential after the JB treatment which right now stands at 5 shots in 1.5" with standard ammunition, not too shabby actually.

Last edited: