Moisture?

swampy308

I just received a package from UPS Yeehaw.
My question is it being so hot outside, will my powder and primers draw moisture bringing them inside a cool house, normally buy local and hadn't ever gave it a thought.

TimSr

Nope. Its the other way around - bringing something cold into a warm house draws condensation.

swampy308

TimSr
Thanks for responding, should have thought that sense I know when I take a gun out side in the summer or in the house during the winter they have condensation on them.

RC20

No, its not an issue.

And you are right, its hot expanded air that when cooled will try to draw in as the contents are cooled.

We open and close powder cans all the time, don't put it in the fridge though.

RC20

Nope. Its the other way around - bringing something cold into a warm house draws condensation.

It can create condensation on the outside, but it does not draw condensation (actually moisture)

Warm air holds more humidity that cold, ergo, in some cases you can draw in air that has higher humidity and causes condensation.

Far more an issue with fluids that expand and contract.

243winxb

Hot powder, not good for long term storage. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6226350&postcount=16
Propellantdeteriorationyearsversustemperature_zps29357560.png
A closed up car/truck can easly go to 140 F degrees.

mete

We once measured the temperature in a white car trunk, in the sun, ambient 70 F -- trunk temperature over 150 F !! I say over 150 F since we measured looking at a investment casting wax part - it was slumped down though not fully melted ! :eek:
Keep important stuff insulated even if it's just in a styrofoam container for transportation. Remember that velocity will change too if the ammo is hot !

Heat is bad , condensation more so than moisture , is also bad .

RC20

While having it in extra hot conditions like a trunk is an issue, the OP asked about a UPS delivery.

I don't believe he had an issue and certainly not with pulling moisture into the can. That is going to take place as soon as he opens it anyway.

Material (powder) is not going to shrink like a fluid and the seal is more than adequate for a normal temperature range (call it 100 degrees)

It is not likely to have been in any extended temps of magnitude long enough to be an issue.

I was a bit startled to see the response that the issue was the other way, basic science says no.