Mofified model 39-2

TexasCop

Hey Everyone,

bought a model 39-2 from a pawn shop a couple weeks back. Finally got it out to the range tonight and found out that the ignition isn't 100% with the double action rounds. I've noticed that the hammer is actually missing the small spur portion as if it had been cut off and cold-blued to make it easier to carry concealed.

I'm guessing that the reduction in weight isn't allowing enough mass to fall forward into the firing pin for reliable double-action ignition. The single action ignition didn't fail to go off in over 35 rounds, but the hammer is farther back and I think the added momentum had something to do with it.

I think I should be able to just get a stronger mainspring and replace it and problem should be solved right? I don't want to mess with the firing pin spring or have to buy a replacement hammer,

any suggestions?

Thanks

Majic

I wouldn't be surprised if the mainspring hasn't been tinkered with and it's only reliable with certain brands of ammo (something to consider by people who tinker with their guns then sell them at a later date). You could try some Federal ammo as they have fairly soft primers and generally will fire in guns with weak ignition problems.
Try a new mainspring and before installing compare it to the old spring. In fact replace all the springs as a cheap tune-up for a pistol that could be 20 to 30 years old.

croyance

Does the DA pull seem unusually light? That would be the main motivation for fiddling with the mainspring, right?

TexasCop

The double action doesn't seem unusually light, but I think if I replace the spring it should eliminate the problem. I'll let you know after I get one and swap it out.