Modify sizing die

jetinteriorguy

I have an extra sizing die for 7.62x39 that I’d like to convert/modify to a body sizing die only, if possible. It’s a Lee die and I don’t have any machining tools or knowledge at my disposal and am wondering if there would be a way to accomplish this with regular hand tools/power tools. I already have the Lee Collet Neck Sizing die so I would resize as a two part process. I’d like to retain the ability to deprime at the same time so would just substitute a regular depriming pin for the expander ball. I was thinking possibly a shaft of some sort close to the correct diameter of the neck portion of the die and then just use valve grinding compound or possibly a dowel with 1000 grit wet sanding paper wrapped around it. I would chuck these up in a drill and spin them in the die. Any better ideas? Thanks.

Old_School

I have an extra sizing die for 7.62x39 that I’d like to convert/modify to a body sizing die only, if possible. It’s a Lee die and I don’t have any machining tools or knowledge at my disposal and am wondering if there would be a way to accomplish this with regular hand tools/power tools. I already have the Lee Collet Neck Sizing die so I would resize as a two part process. I’d like to retain the ability to deprime at the same time so would just substitute a regular depriming pin for the expander ball. I was thinking possibly a shaft of some sort close to the correct diameter of the neck portion of the die and then just use valve grinding compound or possibly a dowel with 1000 grit wet sanding paper wrapped around it. I would chuck these up in a drill and spin them in the die. Any better ideas? Thanks.

The steel is hardened and is probably too hard to machine or modify with hand tools. Not really sure what you're trying to accomplish.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

LeverGunFan

As far as I can tell, no one makes a body die for the 7.2X39. You may be able to contact Lee and ask if they can modify your die, perhaps they could do that for a nominal fee.

Is this for use in a bolt action or a semi-auto? I usually think of neck sizing dies such as the Lee collet die being used for bolt actions, whereas semi-autos usually require a full length resize and sometimes a small base die. If you would always use the body die to size the case, not sure what benefit you would get from using the collet die plus body die in place of the full length die. Other than the fun of experimenting, of course. ;)

Redding makes a 7.62×39 body die. Midway shows it currently out of stock, but you could look around.

Some of the die makers will hone a neck open for you. You could try it with a split shaft and sanding paper, but 1000 grit is way too small to do any significant cutting in a reasonable amount of time. I would start with nothing finer than 320 grit and would more likely start with 240 grit, but I would expect it to tend to radius the corner some as the paper tends to try to expand as it clears the edges of both ends of the neck.

jetinteriorguy

I know it’s kind of a silly idea and don’t want to go into a long explanation of my reasoning or lack there of. Probably a waste of time, but I have time on my hands so don’t mind using it to test ideas no matter how silly. I just thought if this was something people have done and could give some good advice on what would work based on experience I’d give it a shot.

Well, take a 1/4" dowel and split it with a flush-cut saw or other thin saw and try the 240-grit wet-dry with light mineral oil on it. Chuck it in a hand drill at screwdriver speed and run it in and out and keep turning the die in your hand as you do. That should randomize the cutting. See what happens. Pin gauges would be handy to monitor progress, but an inexpensive set of small hole gauges to transfer the diameter to your micrometer will work.

std7mag

Save the headache.
Spend the $30-45 on a body die.

If you were going into wildcat teritory, i'd tell you to contact Pacific Tool & Gauge and have a reamer made. While ordering your reamer, order die blank also.
Would set you back about $180 vs upwards of $500 for a custom die.

HiBC

I do not know if they still offer the service,but Forster used to offer a die neck honing service.
Call them. I'd guess a conversation would gain you an option or two.
Any local machine shop with a Sunnen Hone machine could easily do the job,but having machine shop work done is generally expensive. It might be scary.

Last edited:
std7mag said:
Spend the $30-45 on a body die.

Unfortunately, Redding charges extra for body dies that are less commonly sold and have to be done in small batches. I think they want closer to $80 for the 7.62×39.

jetinteriorguy

Thanks all. I’m going to shelf this idea for a while or maybe for good. My goal is to try turn my ammunition from a 1.5-2.0 MOA into a 1.0 MOA round in my AR47. I’m fine with it as is but just looking for something to do with my time.