Modern role of the sixgun

Amin Parker

Hi all,

I only have one sixgun (single action revolver) that i enjoy tremendously. Its not the most popular of its kind being a Sauer and Son 44 magnum but it works as a home defence gun from time to time.

I would like to hear what others use their sixguns for and why.

aarondhgraham

Hello Amin,,,

I have a J. P. Sauer and Sons 7" SA revolver in .357 Magnum,,,
It's a very solid cowboy gun I used in SASS.

I don't drag the SA's out as much as I used to,,,
But they are fun when I do shoot them.

I loaned that pistol to my nephew one year,,,
He took a deer with it at about 35 yards,,,
He was in a tree stand on their property.

With the CZ's and now the Sauer & Sons,,,
Our gun cabinets are very similar.

Aarond

SRH78

If by sixgun, you mean single actions, the only one I have is a reproduction of an 1858 Remington cap and ball revolver. It's purpose in life is punching holes in paper. The rest of my revolvers are double action.

Daryl

The "modern" role of the sixgun is the same as it's always been, plus they're used in some new types of competition (CAS and such).

The fact that there are new types doesn't change the usefulness of a sixgun at all. I use mine for hunting, plinking, hiking, target shooting, and carry for SD purposes.

Daryl

HighValleyRanch

Me three!
I have a JP sauer and sons Hawes Marshall in .357 single action.

Super solid shooter and built like a tank!
Been used so much that it has very little bluing left on it, and looks "antique" until I shoot it. Like to pull it out once in a while and take it to the range and watch all the stares as it outshoots all the fancy new guns.

These days, you don't see as many people at the ranges with revolvers.

Webleymkv

If by "sixgun" you mean a single-action revolver, then I cannot comment as I don't own nor do I have a burning desire for any. If, however, you mean revolvers including DA guns, then I can tell you that I use my for paper punching, carry, and home defense.

Sarge

Well, actually everything except duty. Anytime I'm not working, the one handgun I am most likely to have on me is an old Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt. FWIW I have used the Sauer single actions and found them to be excellent revolvers.

C0untZer0

Well, I am going to get a S&W 617 for teaching my daughter to shoot, it has a great SA trigger and it's just a beautiful pistol. I think it's great to show someone how firearms work, it's great for learning shooting fundamentals.

I also realize that if I want to shoot the S&W .500 mag, I'll have to buy the revolver.

If you really love the concept of the 410 in a form factor under 18" then you are looking at a revolver also...

Jimmy10mm

For me they punch paper just like the rest of the herd. I hadn't had one of my two Colt SAA New Frontiers out in a few years. Was thinking of maybe selling them. I took my 357 with 5 1/2" bbl to the range and fell in love all over again. A month later I bought a Ruger Bisley flattop 44spl. There is just something about a single action. :)

pendennis

I have several Ruger SA's, both plow handle and Bisley's. They're a ball to shoot. The really good part is that I can load them up or down.

They're outstanding value, even money aside.

Kreyzhorse

I have three DA / SA revolvers that I use for a hunting sidearm, self defense and home defense. In that respect, a revolvers roll hasn't changed much since it was introduced.

redlevel42

Mostly hunting and punching holes in paper, cans, old watermelons,etc.

However, when I need to go to the stop-and-rob at midnight, I feel as well armed with my Vaquero Sheriff's Model .45 stuck in my wastband as I would with a Glop Belchfire ExDee Fawty. Better armed, actually.

Jim March

My daily carry is my 357Mag Ruger New Vaquero SA...over halfway through a really wild conversion to something that's never been seen before involving magazine feed, gas-powered ejection of empties, etc. :)

bamaranger

woods/trail/GP

My SA Rugers all serve as woods/trail/utility guns. Tough as nails, common calibers (.357, .22 mag, .22 lr) and portable. In a pinch, they serve in the SD role, as you have it with you when one leaves the boonies and gets fuel, groceries, whatever.

The 4-5/8 .357 is the full power number and is on hand when I feel I need such. I load it to 3/4 throttle with 158 LSWC and it suffices for plinking, pests, and again SD if thought prudent. It always rides in a WWII "aviator" style holster and gets picked as often as not 'cause the rig allows easy carry aboard ATV, mountain bike, foul weather, etc.

The 5.5 inch .22 mag is not as powerful, but I shoot it better due to the longer sight radius ( darn 50+ eyes!) Grim death on small pests and tin cans. It hits notably harder than a .22 lr from a handgun. It rides in a crossdraw flap holster and is not as convenient as the aviator rig, but the matching ctg belt holds a bunch of light easy to carry ammo. Not a SD round, but beats ones hands for most of us.

The tiny Bearcat is toted when I don't really want/need a handgun but take one anyway. It is almost always carried in a deep pants pocket, often when I'm bow hunting (not always legit, but comforting) sometimes when hunting with a rifle. If I still lived in trout country it would be along on trips to the stream.. Fifty-100 rounds take up little space in a pack or pocket. I've got two holsters, but both seem to add size and bulk to what is an otherwise tidy package. It could serve as SD but not recommended. Has killed a bunch of time and tin cans at camp and the truck.

wmeSha

dry fire

If you include double action revolvers, I don't think there's much that can improve your shooting skill faster than good dry-fire practice with a double action trigger.

Crazy88Fingers

I use my six guns for carry, home defense, and hole punchers. There's nothing they can't do that any other handgun can. I like them because of their simplicity, reliability, and downright classiness.

A well-known firearms instructor once said something like "A person in a self-defense scenario has enough to think about. His gun shouldn't add to the problem."

Deja vu

I own 2 single action revolvers. The first is a new vaquero I got because I felt like it was cool and thought it would work well if I ever decide to get in to cowboy action shooting.

The other one is a Magnum research BFR in 45/70 and 450 marlin (came with 2 cylinders). I use to for hand gun hunting.

RimfireChris

I don't have an SA revolver anymore, I used to have a Cimarron in .44-40 with the birds head grips, I liked it alot but if I got a new one it'd probably be in .357 so I could shoot cheaper ammo. I've been eyeing a Vaquero at the LGS that comes with .357 and 9mm cylinders. I used to have a Super Blackhawk too, but traded it for a S&W 629, to someone who had more gear than sense. I used both for making hole in paper and milk jugs mostly.

Last edited:

Leejack

I've been shooting them for a long time.

My favorites are the .357 Blackhawk, Single Six and Model 10 Smith.

I've used them for everything except hunting (not a hunter).

There's just something magical about a revolver IMHO.