Model of 1917

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
I went back to my favorite local gunstore yesterday which is The Gun Cabinet in Augusta, Georgia. Browsed around. Looked through the cabinets at the rifles on layaway to see if there was anything I wanted to raise hell about them not telling me about. Only found one-a rifle with a Leupold scope on it with a price tag that would almost be reasonable for the scope alone.

Looked over in the room that holds hunting clothing and archery equipment-saw a gun rack. Wandered over and started looking it over. A rusty old percussion side by side shotgun, a beat up Marlin lever action, and a Model of 1917 Enfield manufactured by Winchester. The owner had just come by and told me none of this was for sale when he saw what I was holding and said that one was for sale. How much? $149.95. I bought it:D

Marko Kloos

I have an Eddystone M1917, but I paid more than twice as much for mine.

eddystone.jpg

The M1917 has the best iron sights ever put on a battle rifle, and they sure look purdy with that swept bolt handle and the dog ears over the rear sight. Congratulations on a great buy.

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
I might get attacked here but I bought this rifle for the action. Spectre wants one customized as a .416 Rigby and when I ran into it I bought it for him.

Anybody know where I could find just the Model of 1917 action for a comparable price?

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Lendringser,

I'll go along with your comment on the 1917 sights (same idea as the P-13 and P-14) if you say "up to then". The M1/M14 sights are better, with adjustability and both windage and elevation in the same sight, and no ladder to get knocked around.

Jim

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Vladimir,

I agree with you up to a point. I would much rather find one that had already been sporterized or one in which only the action was salvageable.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
Vladimir_Berkov,

I find it doubtful that "bubba" is planning a trip to Africa, and taking the time to procure an ideal rifle for the safari. I am entirely open to suggestions as to platforms that offer the unique advantages of the 1917 Enfield, in a comparable price range...and they are?

Firearms are tools. They are made for man, not vice versa.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
From my mumbling around for that "other Enfield thread", it occurs to me that one might find an old Remington Model 30 at a gunshow. Good odds it ain't looked upon as a collector item. The only difference in the action is the flat floor plate.

:), Art

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
I've located an Enfield P14 action for a hundred bucks. Sent an email. Hope it's not gone yet.

The only Remington Model 30 I've found on the net was kinda pricey.

I've also found an Enfield No. 3 MkI for sale on the net. Isn't that the same action?

James K

Member In Memoriam
If a hunting rifle is wanted, why not buy a hunting rifle? You can find Remington 700's, Post-64 Winchesters, and even Rugers on the used gun racks for less than what a nice 1917 will cost, and they have all the drilling, tapping, bolt work, etc., already done.

If you are not picky, you can buy assorted Mausers, 1917's, 1903's and others that Bubba has already been at for even less. Most can be make usable without much investment.

As to looks, I admit to not being a great woodsman, but I have never yet seen a deer stop to admire a hunter's rifle.

Jim

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Somebody's been reading Unintended Consequences... ;)

Shouldn't be too hard to find a pre-butchered P.14 or 1917 Enfield if one searches pawn shops & such. We used to get one in every couple of months with the stock all cut back & whatnot.