Model 999

SgtMeatballs

Good morning!

My father has passed down his Harrington Richardson model 999. It is a 9 shot, .22lr revolver. The thing is, this handgun has no rear sight, there are two small screws where it seems they would hold the sights, but alas, no sights. Is anyone familiar with this pistol? Can I easily purchase a rear sight, and install it myself?

Furthermore, the wooden handgrips are VERY scratched and chipped, therefore uncomfortable, can I easily change these out too?

jamesjo

Sgt,
Numrich is out of the 999 sight blades. Have been for along time.
there is one on ebay right now though. expensive, but these are very hard to find. I have been looking for a supplier for a long time.
999's were known for having the screws come loose, and the blades being lost. I finally had a machinist make several spares for me, using one of my sights for a pattern, also expensive.
You might want to check out ebay auctiom # 400067549518
I also PMed you. then saw you were online, and thought I should give you the heads up, the auction has 13 hours left. Good luck
Jim Ritchie

jrothWA

Try some gunshows for ....

parts. I gave a friend a rear sight blade out of and old RG .22LR revovler that fit.
Some people at shows may deal in stripped parts.

If you can try making yourself, get the proper thickness of feeler gauge stock (or cannibalize an ole feeler gauge set) figure proper width above the slot and the width& depth of interior slot) then use swiss needle files to file out the upper notch and the tri-corner file to under-cut the bottm=om, for the screws to push against.

Paint black or blue.

jamesjo

Sgt,
You said you were interested in after market grips. Here are a couple of pics of some Sportsman pieces with Jay Scott grips.
I really love them. I still like the original grips, but these just really dress up the revolver.
They are getting hard to find, but hou just have to keep your eyes open. Half the fun is finding the parts yoy have been hunting for!
jim

Pair of 4" 999's 1980 Jay Scott pearl grips
cylinder0052.jpg

# 999's 1 6", 2 4" all 1980
cylinder0112.jpg

SgtMeatballs

Wow, those are beautiful pieces, I'd post pics of mine but...well it aint pretty. Lets just say that some 18 year old kid thought it would be a GREAT idea to superglue a cheapo airgun red dot sight on the pistol 7 years ago...and it's finish on the rail just isn't what it used to be since.

If you think thats bad, you should see what I did to my SKS when I got my first dremel...

jamesjo

Sgt,
Hey, nothing wrong with that. My brother says I worry too much about how they look, while he tends to buy much cheaper pieces with more wear.
He says, " I buy mine as shooters, not lookers"
Takes all kinds! LOL
Best
Jim Ritchie

teraplanez

H & r 999

I had this same revolver, bought it new in the early 1980's, and the tiny little screws that hold the sight in kept vibrating loose when shooting the gun. The sight has two 'ears' that the screws engage in mechanically so it could work loose over many rounds being fired and you wouldn't even notice. (THAT'S the whole problem) Before you knew it, the sight had fallen out in the dirt or sand and couldn't be found. I lost it once and ended up paying a "gunsmith" $45 for one and had the same thing happen. I ended up carving one out of wax and had a jeweler cast it out of silver and polish it up. ($10) When I installed it, I put Loc-Tite on the screws (AFTER I sighted it in ! ) and never had a problem with it again. The guy I sold the gun to actually liked the shiney silver blade. This was a cool little gun and except for the sight problem, I regret having sold it. You couldn't find a more acurate or fun revolver to shoot the heck out of !

jamesjo

Tera,
Yep, this is the 999's one downfall. I have several, and I love them all, but on all of my shooters, the rear sight blade screws are loctited after they are sighted in, saves many headaches! also saves quite a few bucks! LOL

James K

Member In Memoriam
That was a quick and dirty way to get an "adjustable" rear sight. To adjust for windage, you turned one screw out and the other in, which moved the sight blade. The problem was that the screws had to be really tight, something that was not easily achieved with the tiny screwdriver that came with the gun.

I have made those sight blades, as they were scarce even while I was working as a gunsmith. As noted, easy to do if you have the right thickness of steel plate. Tip: Hog out the general outline with a hack saw and grinder, then use a file to finish up.

Jim

4570 ruger#1

999 sight blades

wisners inc. has sight blades for h&r sportsman and modell 999,they come in two different sizes,i bought one for an old sportsman,it fit perfectly and they shipped in quickly,you will be happy with them.

H&RMan1969

H&R Sportsman Model 999 .22 cal - behaving oddly - can you offer advice?

Recently found Dad's H&R Model 999, .22-caliber 9-shot revolver...I remember him being able to shoot a nail off of a fence post with this thing. Something happened and it stopped functioning so he threw it back in the holster and tossed it into a drawer and never returned to it. I thought it would be nice to restore and fix for his b-day in November. The problems all seem to be central to the cylinder and extractor assembly. Can't seem to attach pics so we'll have to do this verbally with what I hope will be an accurate description.

First, the catch on the left side of the gun near the nose of the cylinder works but nothing is protruding, i.e., it looks like the cylinder catch has been broken off somehow. Maybe that leads to the following problems: The trigger stages right and advances the cylinder, but if I'm lucky I'll hit on 2 or 3 of 9; the weird part is that the mainspring and guide are working properly so the cylinder properly advances to the next round and locks into position properly, so why isn’t my firing pin setting off my rounds?

Next, when I top-break/crack the gun open the spent brass does not eject because the extractor does not stand up and away from the cylinder. When I take the cylinder/extractor assembly out as a unit (cylinder & extractor assembly, along with the attached extractor extension and extractor spring) they appear to be in perfect working order, well oiled, and fitting together properly.

Could all of this be centered around the replacement of just the cylinder catch? How would that affect the extractor? Or the percentage of rounds firing? This is why I sometimes I am glad that for my job I carry my automatic (Sig Sauer P229).

Does anyone see anything else that they want to contribute? It's almost October and his b-day is Thanksgiving. I would really like to give this to him then, so any opinion from you all would be an enormous help. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: