model 94 accuracy question

jimaw2

I just picked up a 80's something model 94 in 30-30. I plan on starting with the factory sights and may go to a tang or reciever in the future but NO SCOPE. My question is what kind of groups should I be happy with? I have a scoped rifle that I shoot tiny groups with and I don't want to be unhappy with this rifle because I am expecting too much, especially with open sights. I'd like to hear from some of you guys who have a lot of experience with this rifle/cartridge combo. thanks

Abel

At 50 yards with my 336 30-30 with a Williams receiver mounted peep, I can get 1.5" groups and at 100 yards, I can do 3" groups.

TGReaper

model 94 accuracy

My 30-30 is a Winchester Mod.94 "Trapper" 16 bbl. This rifle is way more accurate than it has any business being. As the above poster I find that 3 in.,groups with the receiver sight are common. On a really good day I have scared 2 inches. There is no doubt that the rifle itself would go under 2 the problem is the man behind the gun.
I have 4 mod.70s and a couple of other heavy rifles but the Trapper is the idea woods companion and no more difficult to carry than a heavy revolver.
TGR

big al hunter

My winchester 94 was purchased new in '87. My first huntin rifle. Never put a scope on it and it was shooting better that i was for a long time. I get close to 2 inch at 100 yards on the bench. If your eyes are up to it try an aperture peep. I put one on my 50 cal. muzzleloader and can hit paper at 200 yard all day long. It makes it easier to focus on the target and get the front bead in the same place every time.

PawPaw

The Model 94 Winchester is perhaps the quintessential American short range hunting rifle. (Some would argue for the Marlin 336) I've put Williams Fool Proof sights on both of mine and have no problem keeping my handloads under an inch at 50 yards. Another shooter might do better, but my bench technique is rather sloppy and these rifles were designed to be shot at places OTHER than the bench.

The 94 Winchester is certainly capable of taking medium game at 100-125 yards. Hornady's new LeverEvolution ammo stretches that some, and a good rifleman with a thorough knowledge of his rifle and ammo can increase that also.

youp

I have my great Uncle's pre-war model 94 Winchester. It happens to be a 32 Special, more of a moose gun than the 30-30;)

I am 55 years old, very near sighted, worked as a welder and can still keep 3 shots inside 6 inches standing and resting on a post or tree. All this with the original buckhorn sights.

To appreciate an open sighted lever gun you really need to think in terms of minute of deer, not tiny groups

BrittB

So, those Williams rear peep sights are worth the money. I've been thinking about getting one for my 94 as my eye sight keeps creeping away. I can see fine from about 4 feet onward but the rear iron sight is getting blurry. I've had to add red paint dots to pick out the sights. I love my 94 which is an 1981 top eject model, (last of the Olins?).

Hawg

A full buckhorn is nice too. You can use it as a ghost ring. I think it's even faster getting on target than a peep.

jhgreasemonkey

They say around 4" groups at 100 yards is about the maximum acceptable for deer hunting. I am getting under 3" groups at 100 yards from a steady shooting position with the factory open sights on my win 94 with budget ammo. Seems to be the average with most guys I've seen shoot their .30-30 with open sights. Sometimes I have a really good day and shoot impressive groups with the old .30-30 so it's capable of good accuracy especially off of a shooting bench. The hornady leverevolution .30-30 ammo is reportedly very very accurate. I've always used the cheapest box of remington winchester or federal 150-170 grainers and the rifles always shot as good as I can.

redmond

I took mine out to the range for the first time yesterday and it is very accurate: 16 of 20 in the 2" bull from 50 yards. My first experience with a levergun - the fliers were me, not the rifle! It is from 1950, so not bad for a 60+ year old gun.

94-9s.jpg

salvadore

Brittb, I got the Lyman reciever sight. Don't let anyone tell you that a drill press is necessary to install. Using Lyman's instructions and a hand drill everything went perfect.

BrittB

I was considering the Williams sight but I may hold off for now. I'm not having too much trouble shooting through the irons yet but as my eyesight keeps getting worse I'll have to do something. I added a hammer extension and those are nice for not getting my fat thumb in the way of the sight when I go from half cock to all the way back. I also added a sling to it this weekend using an Uncle Mikes swivel kit and an old Hunter sling I bought off of eBay. I wonder how hard it would be to add a saddle ring?:rolleyes:

jimaw2

Thanks for the replies. i took it out yesterday. with the factory sights it shot 2 1/8" at 50 yds from a sitting position. this was with both 170 gr cast bullet over 8 gr of unique and a 150 gr jacketed over a medium load of h322. 100 yds, not so good. 2 of the 3 were under 3" but the third for both loads spread out to over 5". i've got some 110 gr coming to play around with too. at 125 yds i was doing pretty good with cans and clay pigeons. all in all i am very happy with the rifle/cartidge combo. the laminate stock gives it a very distinctive look and is was made before they put the ugly cross bolt safety on it. i ordered a receiver sight but will probably send it back as it shoots well enough with the stock sights which are IMO better looking on this rifle.

giaquir

In 1973 . I bought a NIB
mod 94 for $84 and no deer
that I killed complained bought the accuracy.
Install a williams peep on it and a white
front sight and if you miss a deer this
side of 100yds, you'd better practice
more.
ron

PawPaw

jhgreasemonkey said:
They say around 4" groups at 100 yards is about the maximum acceptable for deer hunting.

I don't know who "they" is, but I use a different standard when I'm teaching kids or nephews to shoot in the game fields. A deer's heart/lung area is about nine inches in diameter. So, we hang a 9" paper plate on the target stand. When you can hit that plate every time, from field positions, no excuses, you're ready to hunt with me.

When you're shooting from the bench at a known distance it's easy to keep the bullets together. When you're in the woods, at unknown distances, it's harder to keep those shots together.

Sometimes I think that we obsess about MOA groups. Four inches at 100 yards is plenty capable of taking whitetail deer under 100 yards, and most deer killed in the eastern US are killed under 100 yards. That said, last year I missed a meat doe at 40 yards. Missed her clean. I shot about an inch over her back. **sigh**

jmr40

Over the years Winchester quality has been all over the place. You won't know till you shoot her, but if you got a good one 1.5" or better groups at 100 are possible. Provided the man pulling the trigger is up to it.

With other rifles 4"+ may be the best you may be able to do, even with scoped rifle.

warbirdlover

All depends on the barrel. I borrowed one and had a real trophy buck come out at 40 yards broadside to me. I emptied that rifle into that deer (or so I thought) and he never flinched. I suspect half the shots never hit him. I did find lot's of blood and trailed him 100 yards only to find him tagged by another hunter. The other hunter was the one who brought me there and got me deer hunting. I argued that it was my deer but he argued it wasn't. I needed a ride home so that was that (18 years old). I now use a .300 Win Mag or .270 Win and no one tags my deer anymore.