Model 70 left hand safety change out?

Blue Duck

I shoot right hand boltactions, and I have a couple of Model 70 Winchesters which I like, but I would really like them better if I could swap out the right hand safetys for lefthand safetys. Does anyone make a part for this, or perform this operation?

drail

I have never seen a "left handed" safety but many 1911 parts manufacturers off an ambidextrious safety with levers on both sides of the frame. Wilson Combat, King's Gun Works, Ed Brown are just a few. For proper reliable function they should be fitted by a reputable pistolsmith. They will not "drop in".

Blue Duck

Yes, I am very familiar with the left hand safetys for 1911's, and most automatic shotguns, but it seems that I did see a lefthand model 70 safety on a right handed boltaction, somewhere.

I don't really like lefthand boltactions, but sure do appreciate a safety that works good for a lefty. I can get by with the right hand version, on the Model 70, but it's just not nearly has handy.

sadsack

Blue: I've never seen it done, but it might be possible to put a left hand bolt sleeve on a right hand bolt. Changes would have to be made to the bolt (for the sleeve lock), and the firing pin (beveled on the left side). I'll look into it in the morning and get back with you.
(Finding the parts might be your biggest problem)

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have never seen a left hand safety for the Model 70 and doubt there is one, though a gunsmith should be able to make one (for a lot of bucks).

The safety spindle on the Model 70 is on the right side, so a left-handed safety would have to have a thumb piece reaching all the way across the bolt sleeve. That would probably work with iron sights, but would not be very practical with a scope sight. (In fact, the first Model 70 had almost that arrangement, but Winchester changed it because it couldn't be operated under a scope.)

Jim

sadsack

Winchester made a left hand version of the m-70. Some parts are available at Brownells, but the bolt sleeve parts are restricted by Winchester.
The bolt would have to be modified for the left hand sleeve, and a piece welded to the reciever to activate the lock plunger. The plunger could be changed to lock into the bolt body instead of the bolt handle.
Finding the left hand parts without having to buy a complete rifle would be a problem.
It would take quite a bit of work, and personally I think it would be more trouble than its worth, but it could be done.

Sorry to take so long to get back on this. (computor crashed)

David_S

I have two Model 70s, one in .243 and one 7x57, and on both of these I have always found the safety very stiff. It has never bothered me much because I never use the safety, only chambering a round when I am about to fire. Probably a hangover from my .303 Enfield days when I was told never to trust the safety.

There are however times when a safety could be useful and I was wondering whether it was common for the Model 70s to have stiff safetys and if there is anything that can be done about it. They seem to catch on something as they are being applied.

Thanks, David

sadsack

David: They are, or can be, fairly stiff. The resistance you feel is the spring pressure as the firing pin is cammed back by the safety. The safety detents are positive, but they shouldn't "hang up". It would be a good idea to take it to a gunsmith to see if there are machine burrs or grit of some kind in the bolt sleeve.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The safety cams the firing pin back off the sear for a reason. If it did not do that, then if the trigger were pulled while the rifle is on safe, the gun could fire when the safety is released even though the trigger is not touched. (This is called failure of sear reset.) So make sure whatever you or the gunsmith does not to change that operation.

Jim

Blue Duck

Rifle Magazine? Thanks, I will check some of my back issues. If anyone should run accross that add, please post a phone number or address.

Thanks