Model 70 featherweight in 257 roberts.

Boogershooter

I passed on this rifle today at the gunshow. The stock had a few dings but still in good shape. The bluing about 90 to 95 %. I'm kicking myself in the lower unit for it. The price was $650. Should I go back and get it 2moro?

Slamfire

I just searched and not many post 64 Win 70's were made in the 257 Roberts. If this rifle is a pre 64, tell me where the gun show is and I will drive up there tonight and get that rifle tomorrow!

Anyway, the 257 Roberts in a modern action is a superb round. It has always been limited by low SAAMI pressures, likely due to concerns about old small ring Mauser actions, but if loaded to modern pressure levels in a modern action, well, who needs a 243 Win when you can have a 257 Roberts?

USMC 77-81

I would like to have it. If the stock dings bother you refinish it or get a replacement wood or synthetic stock. The .257 Roberts can be a very formidable cartridge but you'll need to reload to get the most out of it, as with most cartridges.

tahoe2

The only 257 Bob I ever shot, was a Ruger 77 (tang safety) Red pad, it would cloverleaf any ammo put through it, honestly.
I tried for years to get my friend to sell or trade it to me. It brought home a deer every year with only one shot!

You should go buy it !! :D

Boogershooter

Bossier city louisiana is where the show is at. I do own another Bob but not in this set up. Bad thing is the ol lady told me to get it and I said let's keep looking and if we decide to we will go back and get it. My 5 year old daughter got her first pistol and the ol lady got a couple nice shooting irons but me and the son came home pretty much empty. If I don't have a hangover in the morning I will go back and get it. If you beat me there congrats on the new toy.

eastbank

my roberts is a old rem 722 and i load 44-45grs imr 4350 with a 115 gr bullet and it is a deer killer. i paid 500.00 for it with a 3x9 leupold veri X-11 on it with two 50 round boxs of new lupa cases and dies.

Tony Z

I would have picked it up! I have a Model 70 post 64 Featherweight in 7 X 57 and it is a gem of a gun! Great shooter and fun to reload for. The .257 was on my short list for years, for the same reasons and just to have!

kraigwy

I have a post 64, pre USRA Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts, (made in 1981).

This is my go to Deer/Antelope rifle, Excellent combination.

I do think it was a mistake to pass it up, but again I find it hard to pass up any Model 70 at a good price.

T. O'Heir

Get it what?
You may want to look into the local availability of ammo and brass first. Midway is showing Remington and Winchester brass as unavailable. Only No$ler in stock at $64.49 per 50 on sale. $10.50 more regularly. Ammo isn't horrible, but Remington is on Limited Production. Winchester is on No Backorder. Pretty much the same at Graf's.

Boogershooter

My wife went back and got it. Ammo isn't a problem down here. Alot of old timers still use it so local shops stock up when it's available to them. It's $30 a box for 20. It was a great find and will be enjoyed. My oldest son has already been in his safe and has a scope ready to mount when she gets back.

Paul B.

Let me put it this way. First, understand that I collect Ruger #1 rifles in any and all configurations. I saw an M70 FEW in .257 Bob on a guys table. Right next to it was one of the cheeriest #1B's in .270 I've even seen. Looked unfired NIB although the guy admitted he'd shot the gun. The .257 Bob was the one that came home with me. I had it's mate in 7x57 so I thought they'd like each other's company. ;) I've been busy with other stuff but the few loads I've tried with the 100 gr. Barnes TSX are showing promise. I figure the .257 will work for deer big time and I'll use the 7x57 for elk.
Paul B.

Boogershooter

Sometimes u get a gem sometimes you get a grape. I didn't do my homework like I should have and come to find out this was one of 500 made for cabelas in 2012. At that price it's still a decent deal and my son has shot a couple groups that were better than expected. Havnt seen him this excited bout a new gun in awhile. It's almost as if he thinks it's his already. Lol I guess it is but he's gona have to buy his own ammo now.