mODEL 70 1977 ?

wpbarrett

my father just gave me his model 70 to put up for my son. I was wondering how it compared to the other model 70s and other rifles of its time. I know its not a pre 64 and I've heard that they were improved after 1968. Are they a decent rifle ? the rifle has very little use and as far as I remember it shot pretty well, I've always shot a Sako and never owned a model 70. I'm pretty sure that it is a deluxe model it has some of the nicest wood I've seen in a stock. thank if you can provide any info.

Bill

jrothWA

To confirm the vintage of the M70...

look @ the SN, if it a "G" prefix it the second edition of the post 64.
A non prefixed SN with wide barrel channel is the first edition.
Then came the "XTR" series, the the 670 & 770.

44 AMP

Staff
They are a decent rifle

Some of them are very fine. I have a post 64 (G prefix ser#) model 70 Varmint in .22-250 that will match anything in its class, and beat some of them.

The three "big 7" guns are the Model 70 Winchester, the Remington Model 700, and the Ruger model 77. I can't tell you about them after they went to stainless and synthetic stocks, but I know these guns from back in the 60s and 70s when they were made of blued steel and wood. All three are fine rifles. They have their good features and the less good features, and which is which is mostly a matter of opinion. People like one model over another for the feel and the features, not because any one of them is clearly superior to the others. Any one individual rifle may shoot better (or worse) than any one individual rifle of the other brand, or even the same brand and model.

The model 70 was available in a number of configuration, including a "featherweight" version, a varmint model (with a heavy barrel), and there were also less expensive versions based on the model 70 action as well. Model 70s were used by marine snipers in Vietnam for a time. Jack O'Connor, longtime editor of Field & Stream was a big fan of the model 70, calling it the "rifleman's rifle". He was speaking of the pre 64 gun, but the post 64 guns are not junk, even if they are not the same as the earlier ones.

What caliber is the one you are holding for your son?

bcarver

Featherweight

Mine is a featherweight .270 Winchester.
It is a push feed like the Remington 700.
Of the big 3 "7" I like the Rugers. Simply because of the controlled feed and tang safety while I have never had a problem with my Feathweight.
Clean the bore and action.
Put on a light coat of oil (I use a silicon cloth instead)on every year and put it in the back of the safe.

wpbarrett

thanks guys for the info, the gun is a .270 thats the only thing my dad would shoot. and its in good shape. the serial # is G1284591 and I looked it up and I think it was made around 1977. I grew up hearing that if a model 70 was'nt a pre64 they was'nt much, thats why I guess I always shot a Sako. The looks of this gun and quality of bluing is up there with any Sako I've owned. It has a few minor scratches but thats going to be pretty cool when my son looks at them and will know his grandfather put them there hunting with it.
I'm not new to rifles but I am new to the model 70 and after doing a little research it looks like I've missed out on shooting a really fine make of rifle.
thanks again and and if there is any more info for you guys to provide I'm hear to listen.

God Bless, Bill

jrothWA

The main problem with the first edition..

M70's was the lousy checkering, over-wide barrel channel, and poor stock finish.
The idiots at Winchester tried to use one cutter fits all barrel sizes.
Also went to the push-feed system not the tradition"controlled round feed.

Have a 17 Enfield (controlled round feed) and a "G" M70 (push feed), never could tell the difference between the two, so what's the problem?

Just acquired a first edition M70 (7mmMAG) hardly fired. :)