Model 67-5, & 67-6 - What's the difference?

Nick_C_S

Okay, so I just got a new S&W M67-5 (see OP "Revolvers 7; Semi-Autos 5")

It's a factory new gun. But it appears that the current production of S&W M67 revolvers are "-6's." The SKUs are the same - 162802.

By chance, would anybody here on TFL know the difference between a -5 and a -6 Model 67?

Sevens

Anybody with the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Supica & Nahas should be able to tell you. I use mine all the time to look up serial numbers in the S&W Serial Number thread.

Unfortunately, mine is the 2nd Edition of the guide and the 3rd Edition is the most recent. :( So I can't help.

The book is amazing, anyone who loves S&W guns could leaf through it for hours and hours. I snagged my 2nd Edition for low bucks at a used book store. I would spring for the 3rd, but I'm hoping/waiting for a new version (4th?!) and if/when that happens, I'm going to jump on that one. Probably at full retail, if that's what it takes.

It's a fantastic book that I can get lost in. So far, the 2nd Edition has really served my needs almost 100% of the time because I'm the type who really, really prefers the pre-2000's era of S&W revolvers, and, well, pre-plastic semi-autos.

Consider this post as an advertisement for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Edition, whenever that 4th comes out! :D

Nick_C_S

67-5 introduced the internal lock (2002) and the 67-6 introduced the 2 piece barrel (2004).

If this is true, then they must both be in concurrent production.

My "-5" is indeed a one-piece barrel. But I've never looked that close at a -6 to see if it's a two-piece barrel.