Model 638 can not be cocked

I was wondering if anyone here has ever had this problem with a revolver? My Smith and Wesson model 638 will cycle in double action, but something is preventing the hammer from being raised with my thumb. It will only move back perhaps a quarter of an inch. I also found that if the cylinder is open, and the thumb latch held back, the hammer moves freely?

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I plan on sending it in for repair, but would love to know what is wrong with it.

melchloboo

A stab in the dark might be to make sure the safety lock is not partially engaged. I'm guessing you're not enthused about removing the side plate yourself for an examination of the internals?

You may also want to at least remove the grips which will give you a visual of the mainspring, perhaps there is some debris or other reason its binding...

Good luck.

natpro7420

I would contact S&W, they back their products very well. Let a gunsmith look at it to see if it is a simple fix but anything serious I would take advantage of their service. I know that doesn't help diagnose the problem but may be a simple solution. :)

ArkieVol

Hi 38,

Had a similar problem with brand new 617. Bought it out of state and had it sent to my dealer. Checked it a dealer and worked fine. Got home and could not move hammer. Thinking internal lock may be tight, worked key back and forth a few times and I could then cock gun with hammer but when I let the hammer down and pulled the trigger the cylinder turned without moving the hammer. Hammer locked up again.

Put it back in the box and called S & W who e-mailed me a mailing label, sent it FedEx, got it back inside of two weeks. No charge for repair or shipping.

Replaced two damaged parts...thumb piece and bolt. Works fine now but still haven't been to the range to fire it.

I suggest calling S & W and talk to them about it. 1-800-331-0852

(first time in over 40 years using S & W's I've had a problem)