Model 620 Range Report

dallasconundrum

I have noticed that a few have asked about these guns on here, and I just got a chance to take mine out yesterday so I thought I would post this. If this has already been done in one of the replies, my apologies. In the past month, I have actually bought two of these guns, but haven't had a chance to take them out yet. The first gun (just going by looks, dry firing and such) is absolutely flawless. The second gun has one little problem. The cylinder drags a bit too much when you first attempt to push it out/close it. I plan on oiling it well to see if that helps. If not, I figure it may work itself out over time.
Anyway, first let me setup up the shooting scenario. My father and I always take new guns do to this farm bridge we know to test them out. The bridge is about 30 feet or so from the creek below. When we went yesterday the water was up slightly and was flowing pretty quick. We'll usually throw some cans/bottles over the side to shoot at as the flow downstream.
Finally, to the shooting. I polished off a box of PMC 125 grain 357s that I had laying around. Probably about 40 of them. The gun functhoned with no problems at all, and I was very pleased with the accuracy. It really sent those bottles flying. (If you have never tried this, I recommend it. There really is nothing more fun than shooting at a bottle as it flows away from you and then watching it fly up about 15 feet in the air). It is probably on the short list of accurate out-of-the-box revolvers that I have bought. The recoil on the gun is a little bit more than on a 4 inch 686, but not too much more, and is certainly manageable.
So far, I am very pleased with the revolver and I think that it will become one of my "frequent shooters."

dallasconundrum

Croyance, sorry it has taken me awhile to response, I had missed your reply. Anyway, the barrel length was 4 inches. I THINK that is all that S&W is making for it the 620 now. Hopefully they will introduce some more lengths soon. As compared to me M19 4 incher, it is a bit heavier...not sure how much though. To me, at least, it seems to balance just a BIT better in my hand than the K-frame of equal barrel length. I am a large guy though, so the that may have something to do with it. Smaller shooters may get a better balance out of the K-frame. For me, it is almost the perfect balance between a 686 and a K-frame as far as natural point-ability. In my hand, the K-frame was just a touch too light and the 686 was just a touch too nose heavy. I love all three guns though, don't get me wrong. And the difference really isn't that much.
Hope that answers your questions. Again though, it could be completely different in someone else's hands.

croyance

It tells me what I need to know. Recently, my local stores have had some 19's pop up. Much as I like them, I can't buy everything that catches my eye.:(
So if I miss out on this run of 19's, I won't feel too bad with a 619/620. I could say that more confidently if new S&W's didn't have that lock.:barf: