Model 586-4

neal bloom

I was trying to decide on a 357 with a 4" bbl. I was looking at a Security Six, a model 19 or a GP 100. Then I came across a 586-4 in excellent condition! Can someone tell me the date of manufacture? Ser No. is BRJ5xxx.

Anything else I should know about the 586? I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I can hardly wait. Nice heft and feel to it. I didn't think I would like the presentation grips but after dry firing it a bit I think I will keep them. DA trigger is a tad stiff but the SA is sweet.

riverdog

Don't know about the date of manuf., but that should be a real nice pistol to shoot. I just recently acquired a 586(-0) which I haven't been able to take to the range yet. It should be on par recoil-wise with the GP-100, but with a better trigger.

Blue Duck357

IMHO, the best open carry 357 ever made, and that includes the Python. Most I've fired have had great triggers and it's a strong gun you don't have to baby a bit like the K-frames.

I see maybe 25 4" Rugers and S/W 19's for every 4" 586 I've run across. If you want it and it's under $420 or so I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

TKHover

586-4

I bought a 586-4 two months ago. My serial number is CAC94xx. I called S&W to ask when it was made and they said Nov. '94. According to S&W Standard Catalog, the BRFXXXX's were made in Aug. '94. Yours should be somewhere between then and mine. Outstanding gun..I'm having a fun time shooting it. Good luck with it....I think you made a great choice.
Tom

I was looking in a gun shop here in Pennsylvania this afternoon, and they had a 586 4" used that they wanted $399.95 for. And this is rural Central Pennsylvania.

Sigh...

Some people need a clue.

ChuckM

I have a 4" 586-3 and absolutely love it. I too was about to buy the ruger and found the 586. The Ruger is not a bad choice, but I believe the Smith is the way to go. I put Hogue grips on mine and it handles real sweet. Seems to like WIN 145 gr silvertips real well. Also this ammo does not seem to produce a much recoil as some of the other .357 ammo I've tried. BTW I got mine for $300, used but only 100 or so rounds thru it.

C.R.Sam

Great gun.

One of my projects is cut the underlug back on a four incher.

Makes it look like a four inch 19 on steroids.

Lifetime gun that the grandkids should enjoy too.

Sam

neal bloom

Holy Cow! Took the 586 out ot the range yesterday and I am impressed! Very accurate and I liked how it handles.

Thanks for the information!