Model 58 S&W

Calif Hunter

I'm looking for a ballpark figure on what a S&W Model 58, in good condition (some holster wear, but mechanically great) is worth? I'm looking to trade my brother something for one. He's inclined to sell it, and since it belonged to my deceased uncle, I would prefer to keep it in the family...and I like the .41 mag, having a Model 57 and a Blackhawk already.

This is not a safe queen, but a good honest shooter.

Marko Kloos

It depends on barrel length, finish and overall condition, but in these parts it's hard to find a Model 58 for less than $400 in any shape. Nice ones can easily go for $500-ish.

Calif Hunter

The Model 58 only came with a 4-inch barrel, I believe. It was the fixed sight version, like an N frame model 10 with a heavy barrel.

Richard Simmons

Never seen one sell for anywhere close to $300 let alone less than that provided the seller knew what it was. If you check the auction sites you can find them selling for $500 and up even with incorrect grips and 90% condition.

steveno

I just bought a M-57 6 inch and nickel in 95% condition for $425 so there isn't any way I would pay more than $300 for a M-58

5 years ago I lucked into one in Northern Virginia, in almost new shape, for $275, plus tax, just shy of $300.

Over the past several years I've come to appreciate just what an outstanding deal I got.

The last one I saw was in worse shape than mine and had a tag price of $495.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
A matter of personal preference

steveno wrote:
I just bought a M-57 6 inch and nickel in 95% condition for $425 so there isn't any way I would pay more than $300 for a M-58
If you like your M57, it's possible you're about where I was a couple of years ago - - I had no idea I'd have to pay as much as I did for a 58. Yep, the M57 has the nice adjustable sights and a choice of lengths, and it may not make sense to many people, but a 58 will bring MORE than a 57 in equivalent condition.

When you analyze the situation, it begins to compute. The 58 was only produced 1964 through 77, for a total of a little over 20,000. The 57 also started in 64 but continued until 1993. I can't find the number produced, but some estimates indicate at least four times as many as the 58s. A majority of 58s were probably issued to various police agencies, and compared to the 57, they weren't nearly so popular with sportsmen, target shooters, silueta shooters, and handgun hunters. Hence the far lower production.

Same situation applies to the Model 24-3 (1983 reintroduction of the 1950 .44 Target) and the old 21 (1950 .44 Military.) The adjustable sight .44 Special doesn't bring as much as the fixed sight version.

I'm certainly not saying you're wrong in YOUR assessment of the relative value, but a lot of shooters and collectors don't agree with you. I passed up at least five M57s (two four-inch and three six-inch) in the $275 to $350 range, because I really wanted either an old model, short barrel, .41 Blackhawk or an M58. I finally paid $400 for a mechanically perfect middle-production 58 with noticible holster wear, and was glad to get it!

To each his own . . . .

Best,
Johnny

steveno

here in the middle of Nebraska I don't think a M-58 would go that high at all. some gunshops probably wouldn't trade for it because they know that might have to sit on it a while. most people don't buy 41 mag's (which is too bad) and especially one with fixed sights. just my opinion

Calif Hunter

From a purely logical point of view, I agree that the Model 57 (adjustable sights, etc.) should be worth more than the Model 58. Furthermore, I already have a Model 57 and an old model Blackhawk with the short barrels - so I don't really "need" the Model 58. However, since it was my uncle's gun, since they made so few of them and since I love my .41s, I plan to trade either a Springfield Loaded 1911 .45 ACP or a Colt 1917 New Service (rebarreled and reblued, so no real collector status) for the Model 58 - I just wanted to know if either of those was a worthwhile trade.

tulsamal

. some gunshops probably wouldn't trade for it because they know that might have to sit on it a while.

Some of those gunshops need to hear about this newfangled invention called "the internet!"

I can understand that they don't think they can resell one locally. But just a quick look on gunbroker, auctionarms, gunsamerica, etc. will show them selling all the time for over $500. If I could buy or trade one at a gunstore for $250 and then sell it for $600 on gunbroker, I think I would go for the easy money!!

My experience in rural Oklahoma is that it is darn hard to find a pawnshop or small gunshop that doesn't have _somebody_ around that keeps them up to date on prices. It has been years since I've walked into some out of the way place and found a vintage S&W revolver for 50% or less of its true value. Most gunstores that are sophisticated enough to stay in business are also sophisticated enough to know about selling rare guns to collectors on the internet!

Gregg

SixForSure

OK, this is my one bragging gun. I am astounded at the going price for a 58. About 6 years ago one was traded at the local shop. At first glance it appeared unfired. I had to look close to see that the cylinder had even been turned! I knew the previous owner and he had fired one box of factory loaded cast bullet loads and 6 rounds of Remington JHP. I bought the gun, the remainder of the remington loads and the other box of cast loads......................................................for $225.00.

tulsamal

I _wish_ I could claim I bought one for $225! I wanted one for years but the prices always seemed high. Plus the high prices always seemed to be attached to so-so guns. Finally a fellow S&W collector had pity on me and sold me one for $500 including shipping. That was a friend's price since the gun still had the original numbered diamond grips and is from VERY early in the manufacturing history. Like #500 from the first one. (Something like that.) Nearly perfect condition. So I bought it and brought it home. Really admired the way the topstrap is done and how sharp the contrast is between it and the sides. Took it out and carefully fired a couple cylinderfuls at targets. Worked great. Cleaned it. Admired it. Have only fired it one time since then.

This is the curse of the good deal/great gun. That gun is worth at least $700 now. I wanted a Model 58 to use as a field gun. I was sure the whole fixed sight N frame thing would make a great gun. But I'm not about to slide this one into a holster and carry it out into the brush. I needed a police trade-in that I could hard chrome and I ended up with a show-off gun! I love it and show it to everybody but I've seriously thought about selling it just so I could get the guilt out of my life and be able to get one I could abuse!

Gregg

ISP2605

In the early/mid 70s I stopped by the local gun shop and the dealer said he had a gun laying around that he'd make me a real deal on. He drug out a brand new, still in the box Mod 58. Said he hadn't been able to move it, no one was interested, but if I wanted it - $75. I thought at the time "What the heck would I need with a fixed sight 4" gun in a caliber that wasn't selling well and would probably be dead in a few years."

SixForSure

This is the curse of the good deal/great gun.
The guy who owned it prior to me said he had bought it at a gun show with the intent of throwing it under the seat of his truck, but just couldn't bring himself to treat it that way. I haven't even shot it. It is just to, well, "pretty"!