Model 52 project rifle cont'd

Khornet

Well, I bought the beat -up 52B for $150. Stock had been shortened sloppily, barrel band missing, no mag, pitted metal and ringed bore about 1' back from muzzle. As is, from sandbags at 50 yd with target ammo and high speed hollow points, it shot about 1 1/2" to 2 1/4". In my basement range at 10 meters with CB longs it shot about .55-.6". Ordered a replacement stock from Numrich, but it's for a 52C and though it could be modified to accept the 52B the barrel channel is way too large; it would be ridiculous. So while waiting to find the right stock, I gave the bore a good scrub with J-B paste then used lead removal cloth followed by a good Hoppe's cleaning. Then I stripped it and degreased everything, reassembled the metal minus the mag well and receiver sight, and glass bedded it. The glass supports the sides of the receiver from the breechface forward and the first 2" of barrel, as well as the tang area at the rear. No other contact of wood to metal.

Now from a rest in my basement it shoots 0.15" 5-shot groups with CB longs and aperture sight. So there's adequate accuracy for squirrels, and maybe more can be squeezed out of it.

Next, I'll use my B-square recoil pad jig to shape a piece of walnut to restore stock to full length, and reattach the original buttplate. An accessory rail was crudely inletted in the forend, and I'll remove that, inlay some nice wood, then shorten the forend to remove the portion ahead of the barrel band and shape to a nice sporter shape. Or maybe just find a new band.

Then it'll be time to refinish and checker, and I'll have an honest Model 52 Sporter for squirrel hunting, just like in the old days.

DeBee

Be patient looking for that stock- they are out there- not cheap though...

I mean the gun was basically free- even the beat up stock might have netted 150 on eBay ;)

I've seen the actions alone go for over 400...

Great idea with the recoil pad jig!

I continue to say you got a gem. The holy grail of gun rack finds- at least for me- up there with pre 64 or pre war Winchester 70s, FN Mausers, and Anchutz 54s...

Khornet

You should see

how coyote-ugly the metal is! The portion of the barrel hidden by the stock appears to have been sanded to remove rust....maybe the previous owner was himself trying to salvage a wreck he picked up cheap. Almost every screw needed a good few days' soak in penetrating oil before I could budge it.

Anyway, before investing any more sweat, I must have the receiver drilled and tapped. Nothing to lose, collector-wise, and this is going to be a squirrel rifle. Here goes!

DeBee

In the long run, barrels are disposable...

I would not hesistate to screw in a Walther medium sporter and cut to 21" with 11 degree crown... Or

The factory barrel can be draw filed, shoe shined with emory paper then polished lengthwise to avoid ripples in the finish... Any pits in the action could easily be polished out- maybe a light bead blast? Then cut off the ringed portion of the barrel and recrown to length where the gun would balance offhand...

I bet some stockmaker out there has an inletting template for the Win 52- thought about going for a custom stock???

I have Leupold 2pc mounts on my Win 52 repro- they look great... Do select a gunsmith who is very detailed in his work- my favorite gunsmith QUIT and went back to being a welder full time! He was very skilled and detailed and clean... Little things like facing off the screws and cleaning metal chips out of the gun and getting that good gunsmith smell on the gun before he gets it back to me... The gunsmith I am working with now is less detailed- I think I could do better work if I put my mind to it and had the tools...

Keep us posted.