Model 41 S&W - Good years?

butwhat

I have heard that the older Model 41 S&W had better fit & finish.
Can anybody tell me what years were better than others?
I am looking to replace the Model 41 I had stolen last year.
Serial Number A759964 Product code 0410027401

JoeHatley

I don't have an older one, but this one from last year is great.

41_l.jpg

Joe

HappyGunner

Bought and early one

I bought one in 1962 S/N had four numbers XXXX. It was a sweet target gun never a problem. Sold it six years ago because I just was not shooting it. I think all the older S&Ws had better quality then the guns being pushed out today.;)

Tbag

Butwhat, sorry to hear of your past lost, your 41 was made in 1981. From what I am told mid 80's and older. I hear that smith and wesson have only two gunsmiths left that assemble them

laytonj1

All years are good. The blue finish on older guns are nicer but the CNC machining on current guns provides a more consistent fit with tighter tolerances than someone with a hand file fitting the parts long ago.
Course, there's exceptions to everything. :)

Jim

Gixerman1000

Mine is about a year or so old and it's my favorite 22 pistol by far, extremely accurate and has yet to have the first problem, not even with cheap ammo.

SW41.jpg

skeeter1

AFAIC, there's no such thing as a bad Model 41. I looked at a current production one at the range last summer, and it seemed to be every bit as nice as the older ones. It was, however, out of my price range. I prefer the 7" barrel over the 5" bull barrel. Nevertheless, I consider that the finest .22 semi-auto made.