Model 37 vs 637

Lohman446

This is likely a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyways. On another thread I have been discussing my "need" for an airweight. I presumed i would simply go buy a new 637. I have come across, at a local auction, a good condition model 37.

For pure use (non collector value) what is the difference in these two?

Laz

Most are not. Many people have reported shooting Plus P in non-rated guns without incident. Personally I avoid it because to me they're too nice to abuse. I would do it in a pinch. They won't blow up. I'm not sure what model revision marks the Plus P rating (I think it's "-3"), but I think generally the Plus P guns have the elongated, integrated cylinder stop as opposed to the "button" and careful observation would show a slightly longer cylinder window and cylinder plus some radiusing of the corners of the cylinder window to help prevent cracking under heavier loads. IOW, plus P rated Airweight frames are the so-called "J-magnum" frame dimensions.

It might be worth noting that even when this new frame appeared, Smith & Wesson didn't officially advertise Plus P capability until Taurus launched a big campaign touting all their small frame Model 85s as being rated for Plus P. S&W very quickly followed suit. Probably a coincidence.

Hal

The 637 is stainless, and the 37 is blued. Both are airweights.
Does that mean they are both alloy frames, when you say both are airweights?
I ask because, I believe both are alloy frames.

Ibmikey

As Bill indicated they are called "Airweight" because of their lighter aluminum frame...in three digit model numbers 6 refers to Stainless. 6= stainless 37= airweight J frame .38 Special.
Oh forgot, 4 in the three digit numbers is for a blue gun--439 would be a blue model 39 9mm pistol. The number 5 is for blue steel--539= blue steel frame model 39.

Last edited:

UncleEd

Way back when, when humans lived in caves, the Model 37
was good and lasted and did its job.

Then when humans moved into mud houses, the 637 did
its intended job.

And the cave people and the mud house people lived
happily ever after.

GET what's available at a decent price!

And live happily ever after. :)

runner55

"The 637 is stainless, and the 37 is blued".

Not so. I have a 37-2 which is a nickeled, alloy frame (factory).

Jim Watson

Once upon a time, that was just a different way of saying the same thing.
Now you can have stainless steel blackened so it is hard to tell a difference.
Or have stainless polished shiny as nickel plate.

David R

637 is 5 shot aluminum frame stamped for +p. I carry one.

Exposed hammer.

I do not know the - # right now.
David

Last edited:

Bill DeShivs

Hal- you are correct. Thank you for the clarification.
Most people don't understand "carbon steel" without a lot of explanation.