Model 29 Aniversary Smith

fairview mick

Has anyone bought the Smith Aniversary model 29. If so, what kind of price and how is the quality of the gun? I'm not having any luck even finding one locally to look at.
Mickey

Kevinch

This should be in the revolver forum.

But...I've seen prices from $900 to $1000 dollars for the new M29.

nemesis

My buddy has one. We fired it a bit but not a lot. One of our well established Range Rats was testing loads on his Freedom Arms S/A and asked to run a few rounds through the Smith. The accuracy results were "one hole" outstanding.

The grips are a nice surprise. They're slightly reshaped and slimmed down and are very nice in the hands.

Tigerclaw

My wife bought one for me about 5 weeks ago. I've put two boxes each of specials and magnums through it and love it. This was my first revolver and was purchased to fill a specific slot in the collection I want to build.

I think we paid just shy of $1000 with all of the tax, title, and liscence included. ;)

The firing pin is not part of the hammer.

I was told by the shop I bought it at that S&W was only making 500 in this edition, so that may why they are scarce. Mine is number 337, but it did not come with any kind of CoA.

tulsamal

Revolver = Traditional

So you want to make a 50th Anniversary model of your flagship? Good idea, make lots of money. But then, instead of actually doing it, you change the design and the materials until many of the things that made it "special" are no longer there. Until the "new model" is less of a deal than just watching for an original in great shape.

If you HAVE to have a lock, you darn well better put it totally out of my sight. (And I'm not convinced you HAVE to have one on a gun that is supposed to be a "reissue of an older gun." Then why doesn't US Firearms have locks on their SAA's? And what about that law last year that made it "impossible to sue gun makers unless they truly act in a criminal manner?" Was the law a waste of time or what?!)

Open sore on the side of a revolver = no sale to me.

And given my age and economic status, I would be the PRIME market for something like a 50th Anniversary M29. Instead the design turned me off in the first half second and I never developed any desire to own one. Good marketing!

Gregg

croyance

Other people have built in locks.
It is known that there are idiots out there.
So there is the fear that some lawyer will be able to make the arguement that a lack of a lot is criminal negligence - and make it stick.

Even people who don't know guns know about Smith and Wesson. US Firearms has, shall we say, a lower profile. Neither do they sell to entirely the same demographic.

CYA

michael t

Colt has no trouble remakeing 70 series pistols with out firepin block. And no silly lock. But S&W calls it a 50th A. special with a lock, nofirepin on hammer and where the lovely S&W blue.. I gota good 29 -3 6" for a little over 400 instead. Sorry Smith that 4 sales you lost in last year because of locks, No blue and wood. I don't want you 2 piece barrels, locks ,rubber grips,.MIM parts.
So I just buy these almost new older used S&W I find. and each time you lose a sale and I get a real S&W .

Action_Can_Do

Wow! People are paying $1000 bucks for the new M29. I live in northeast Pa and buy my guns at a nice place called Piestraks, and I am amazed that I always seem to be able to get what I want for 100-200 dollars less than quotes on here. I got a 44 mag Super Redhawk for 500, a Raging Bull 454 for 550 and a glock 22 for 450. I guess prices really do depend on where you live.

pipoman

I briefly considered the 50th M29, decided on a nice condition P&R M29, a little less $ and a more desirable gun IMO.