Model 17 info needed

Gun 4 Fun

Hey guys, I just bought a model 17-3 in 95-98%. Perfect bluing, very light turn ring, standard magnas in very good condition. Mint bore. No box or papers, $525 OTD. Did I do O.K. or just average?

If someone can tell me what year it was made, I'd appreciate it. Serial number is-8K51XXX

mega twin

I'd say you did about average. There are quite a few on the auction sites. Once they get over the $400 mark, they don't seem to get any bids.
By the time you pay ffl and shipping, you're usually about where you are with yours.
On the other hand,you got a cadillac of the 22 revolvers,at a price you wanted to pay, so ya done good:)

HKFan9

I got mine with a little more wear on the blueing for about $400. I traded a rimfire rifle and $300 cash for it. The wear gives it some character, and it shoots great. Just put a few hundred through it yesterday.

Gun 4 Fun

Thanks for the info. I called a lot of decent gunshops in my area and they all said to jump on it, since blued Smiths are starting to command premium prices in any caliber.

BigJimP

Model 17's were made from 1957 - 1989 / the -3 was made from 1967 - 1976. Your gun based on serial number is 1975.

Average price in my area for a very good model 17 is about $ 450 / and I've seen a few in boxes recently, not unfired, but very good condition for around $ 500. Depending on sales tax in your area - that can add another $45 - $50 so I think you did ok.

But the value + - $ 100 is really hard to determine / and you're the only one that can really judge it. If the owner thought it was virtually as new - then you have to haggle over it / bottom line, if you didn't think it was worth it, you probably would not have bought it - so don't worry about it - go out, shoot it, and enjoy it.

HKFan9

I don't feel like it all depends on what you pay to a certain point, I'm sure we can all agree we like to shop for deals but once in awhile you buy something and a better deal will come a long. What matters most is the enjoyment you get from shooting it.

orionengnr

You did just fine. Any original blued pre-lock S&W is only going up in value. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

I had a very nice M-17 (made in 1955) that I let go of a couple years back. Sure miss it.

Of course, my M-18 consoles me :)

22-rimfire

I think you did great on price. It wasn't a steal. You can't touch one in my area under $500-$550 in very good condition. I don't know where folks see these $400 M17's.

Gun 4 Fun

I don't either, but I believe they're telling me straight. I thought that actually I was doing pretty good based on what I read over on the S&W forum:confused:, but maybe not. I know that my wife and I have been looking at a lot of .22 handguns in our area (within 50 mile radius), and this was a pretty fair deal here for it's condition. I'm happy with it, since I love blued S&W's. Keep up the info guys, it's all an education and I'm looking to learn about things that I'm not well educated on!:)

sandbag

I paid

$500 for mine,but it was marked $525-the dealer knocked off the $25 because I also bought a Model 63 at the same time.I have been very happy with that purchase.:D

redlevel42

I think you did well. You just aren't going to find a real bargain on these guns unless you find some widow who just doesn't know what she has, or something like that.

If you want to compare, I paid $575 OTD for this pre-17 with box and no papers. I figure it is about 95%-98%. A slight turn line is about the only indication it has been used. It was a whole lot better gun than I was really looking for, but of course I had to have it after seeing and fondling-I mean holding it.

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

Gun 4 Fun

That's a nice old piece! I bought a set of stocks just like those for $25 at the same time. They are on the gun and sitting next to me as I type this. I bought a digital camera today, so I should be able to get some pictures up soon.

Hammer It

Hello Gun 4 Fun
Welcome to the S&W K-22 Club. They are addictive I will warn you of that. I have had dozens over the years, and still have several but the Three in my collection that are my Favorites show revolvers from very different time frames with some very neat different features. Below are pictures of them along with what makes them special to me, I hope you enjoy Viewing them, and that it triggers your Buring Lust & Desire to have Many more K-22's like it did me... Hammer It

Here is a First issue K-22 Known as the "Outdoorsman". This is the one that started it all with K-22's. It was made from 1931-1939 and this one is a 1936.It is wearing it's original serial numbered grips, and has not been carried, nor show any carry or useage wear. I swapped Two for one to get this piece and do not regret it one bit, as These do not come along often. They are all hand made along with the Internal action parts like all Pre-War S&W revolvers they are Considered to be the Rolex of S&W's in this time frame...

DSCF6477.jpg

DSCF6480.jpg

Here is an Early Post-War K-22. It shipped in early 1947 and has a Four digit serial number. It is considered a transition piece due to it's large Mushroom style Extractor head which required Notching out the under side of the barrel to allow clearence for it to close the cylinder. It is wearing it's original serial numbered Magna Grips. The barrel is Odd on this K-22 as it shows a series of small Donut looking shapes down the entire length of it.

The seller could not explain it, and after a close inspection of it's shiny clean bore I decided it had to be a factory flaw, not effecting the function of the gun. I Paid $500.00 for this one and was very glad to get such a neat Transition piece as they are not seen often like this. S&W was not one to just throw away parts so that is why these Transition pieces do pop up from time to time, but their availability is limited and considered Scarse.

I spoke with Roy Jinks at last years S&WCA meeting about the barrel issue of this gun, and he remarked he had only seen one other like it, in all his years at S&W and he felt the reason for it was because revolver's were in such High demand right after the War, it took S&W a couple of years to catch up to the Hungry buying public, and it was then that Higher quality control measures were followed strickly. To some it is a Factory Freak, to me it is a sign of a very high Consumer demand that caused this Odd Factory Blemish...

1947K-22.jpg

1947K-222.jpg

Here is a 17-2 that shipped in May 1964. I swapped a Post-War M&P revolver for it that I had $300.00 in. This one is Odd in that fact that it was ordered with a special Single action feature and Red Post King Patridge front Target sight. It is shown with it's original Rosewood Factory Target grips.

During the swap the previous owner of it, stated it had an internal action issue as it only fired by cocking the hammer, and that something had to be wrong with it's double action. It did not put off our swap as I had heard of these Single action S&W revolver's in the past, but mainly in the K-38 Series not the K-22's.

After I had it researched the Factory history letter stated it was ordered with special single action mode wide Target trigger,Target hammer King Front Red Post sight blade and Highly figured Rosewood checkerd stocks....

8e24e8b7.jpg

c7ed1d73.jpg

By the Way, if you are wondering I do shoot & enjoy all of these revolver's, I have no Safe Queen K-22's in my collection...Hammer It

mega twin

Hammer, those are all great looking guns,especially that outdoorsman! That is good old American craftmanship at it's best!

curt.45

guess I'll have to research mine, and looks like I got screwed when I sold the other 3 I had.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Gun 4 Fun

Hammer It- You take awesome photos! It doesn't hurt that you own some of the finest looking guns I get to see here or anywhere. Here is the one I just bought. Enjoy.
100_0001.jpg

And I thought someone might like to see some nice factory combats, although my picture does not do them justice.
100_0011.jpg

100_0006.jpg