Model 13 or 19?

Here's a weird one. It's labeled "19-3" under the crane, but is obviously a 13. It's not a chop job, as the rear sight is the typical fixed type, with no evidence of screw removal.

Any ideas? Could it just be a factory mismark?

1319_side.jpg

1319_crane.jpg

KyJim

I think you have a fixed sight Model 19. The Model 13 did not have the shrouded underlug. Maybe it was a special order/police order.

Glenn Dee

I've seen that M13 before. I believe they were a contract for a foreign government. Some made it to the domestic civilian market. I can call a buddy tomorrow who has one... I'm sure someone more learned than I will have an answer sooner though... But it is a Model 13.

Glenn Dee.

pendennis

Tom, it's likely a Model 19, and not a mis-marked Model 13.

S&W made a number of Model 19's to be exported to Germany. The Germans wanted fixed sight guns. Notice that the barrel is shrouded. You can also check out the S&W forum. This variation has been discussed a number of times there.

laytonj1

Easy enough to figure out.
M13's have a "D" prefix or "D" in the SN.
M19's have a "K" prefix or "K" in the SN.
M19's also have a larger frame in the yoke area and their barrels have an ejector shroud. Some fixed sight and round butt 19's were produced by special order.
That, and it is stamped 19-3.

Jim

18DAI

That is indeed a VERY rare 3" fixed sight model 19-3. To my knowledge it is uncataloged, and not listed in the SCSW.

That 19-3 was part of a special order for the French Secret Service. I don't remember the official title of that agency. IIRC they are referred to as the "Presidential Hunting Party".

The overuns were sold to the FBI, with the remainder, 75 IIRC, sold on the retail market. A few years later there was another small run done for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

That 3" fixed sight 19-3 may just be the ultimate concealed carry revolver.

Were I you, I would spring for the $50 letter from Roy Jinks to document its pedigree.

Very nice 19, congrats! If you ever wish to sell it, please PM me. Regards 18DAI.

I checked my notes. The 3" 19-3's with fixed sights were made in 1973. The serial numbers should be in the D63900 range. 200 units went to the French Government agency. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
That 19-3 was part of a special order for the French Secret Service. I don't remember the official title of that agency. IIRC they are referred to as the "Presidential Hunting Party".
This must be it.

It's not my gun. I received an email from someone in France asking about it, and it had me stumped.

Oddly enough, the serial number does have a "D" prefix.

longranger

It's not my gun. I received an email from someone in France asking about it, and it had me stumped.

The French have guns ! even citizens ?, just kidding, you don't hear French and guns used in the same sentence very often.Does a white flag come out of the barrel when fired.
I could'nt resist.;)

Vilhelm

Actually the French do have guns. I have had luck purchasing them.

While the finish is often marred they are usually good shooters.

French guns are easy to pick out when scanning the classified ads. They usally say something like "never shot, dropped once"

PzGren

The 3" fixed sight guns were ordered by France when Sassia was the bodyguard of de Gaulle. Later they used the MR73.

I wonder why people here constantly bash the French, France has a longer and better war record than the U.S.A. French people could buy handguns without permits until about 1983, when some deranged person shot several children.

Eric Grauffel is French, by the way.

crscrk44

I think it is indeed a Mdl 19-3 in 3", special order, most likely made for FBI or Treasury.

Give you $50 for it since it doesn't have a back sight.