Model 12 Pigeon Grade Limited Edition

sigsooie

I just picked up a nib, never assembled, Winchester Model 12 Pigeon Grade with factory authentication letter, etc. My letter says this was one of 480 shotguns made in 1984 in Winchester's Connecticut plant to commemorate this shotgun. I have never seen one before. My Blue Book is not real clear as to the value of this gun. I am naturally wondering about the true value of the gun, but also wondering if anybody has seen one before.

zippy13

Nice gun -- Congratulations!

Pigeon Grade Model 12s are prized by old school trap shooters, and admired by many others. I've seen some of the original ones, and others that were upgraded to look like factory PG's.
For several years, I had my feelers out for one. I was interested in several, but their owners were "too proud" of the nice ones. I suspect they didn't really want to sell, but were curious to know what would be offered. These were all pre-1964 guns.
As you must know, most folks think of the Model 12 as being from 1912 to 1963. Limited runs were made in spurts after '63. It was common knowledge that Winchester was trying to cut costs, and many shooters questioned their quality. Consequently, a post-63 gun will always be under a cloud of doubt. Without a book value, your gun's worth what someone will pay for it. (What did you pay... that's what it's worth to you.)

NRA Endowment Life Member

Last edited: