Model 10 - Three Inch Barrel

KyJim

I visited Bud's gunshop online late last night and saw where they had some police trade-in Model 10s with three inch barrels. My gun budget is maxed out right now but I couldn't resist going by the store early this afternoon (local to me).

They had about five on display. They were imported from Australia. They were pretty much what you would expect, all with handling and scuff marks and blue wear. I examined three. One had some rust, maybe some light pitting on the barrel. The others were rust free. They all seemed solid mechanically. I chose the one with the smoothest trigger and put it in layaway. Checked their website when I got home and they were sold out! Guess I got lucky.

I love SW K-frames and the three inch barrel seems like a perfect size to carry without some of the disadvantages of a really short barrel. The only three inch K-frame I have is more of a semi-collectible, a Model 540 (9mm).

Their website says they're going to put more models out next week but I don't know if they will be three inch barrels or not. Worth checking it out if you're interested in a good solid shooter that won't break the bank. BTW, J&G Sales also has some surplus K-frames they're selling.

Homerboy

I ordered one and now I debating whether it was a good move. I can deal with blue wear, but rust and pitting will bug the hell out of me. I have to send my FFL to them on Monday. I might cancel the order.

Technosavant

A 3" K frame might well be the ideal carry revolver. I have a 2" mod 64, and while it's really nice, that extra inch of barrel wouldn't impact the ability to conceal the thing while it would give just enough extra room for an ejector rod to punch the empties completely clear of the cylinder.

If I saw a 3" mod. 10 at my local shop, it would be coming home with me, without a doubt.

Got this one from a guy who didn't want it because it couldn't shoot Magnums:

mod_10_800.jpg

You don't want to know what I gave him for it :cool:

KyJim

I can deal with blue wear, but rust and pitting will bug the hell out of me.
Just to clarify. Out of the five on the counter, one had some rust at one location on the barrel. Not sure if it was pitted as I quickly eliminated it and did not inspect that closely. Chances are that your particular gun has none.

You don't want to know what I gave him for it
That is a nice looking revolver.

mavracer

I saw those it was all I could do to resist :eek:
A 3" K 38 is such a great packin' gun but I have quite a few of those and other stuff is higher on my list.

David the Gnome

I really wanted one but by the time I got off work they were all gone. :(

Hopefully I can be more on the ball with the next group they bring in.

KyJim

I really wanted one but by the time I got off work they were all gone.
I thought they would go fast so that's why I went ahead and put one in layaway. Just don't see a lot of three inch barreled K-frames around here.

Dan F

I was fortunate enough to get one... and I learned something about my character at the same time.

I haven't been a firearms enthusiast for very long (I can't really explain why, as I've always had the interest... I just never indulged it), and prior to this new-found hobby I never had any reason to think about collecting anything. But when I got the email alert from Buds, I had a nigh on impossible to resist urge to pull the trigger (if you'll excuse the expression).

And the really interesting thing is I've never been a .38 Special aficianado before, but having to leave it behind after delivery to my FFL for the MD 7+ days waiting period was very hard to do...

Guess I'm hooked. :cool:

P.S. It had wear marks, and a few minor dings... and it seemed like an old friend I'd just met (now how weird is THAT?) :D

KyJim

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The .38 special is a great round, which is why it is still here a century after it was introduced. Great for paper punching or self-defense when loaded right. I think you'll like the three inch barrel.

federali

3" S&W Round Butt

I've now mentioned it in several threads that in my opinion, the 3" S&W K frame round butt is perhaps the most practical defensive/carry revolver out there. Not too big, not too small, effective caliber, full length extraction rod, accurate at combat distances, six shots instead of five, and available (some models) in .357 Magnum.

glenncal1

I got one that looks very much like the online listing picture. It locks up like new. I took it to the range and if you didn't look at the finish you would think you were shooting a NIB 1979 10-7. Mine came with some pretty beat Magna wannabe grips that I took off 5 minutes after getting the gun home and put on some pach grippers that really fit my hand well. Shoots to point of aim at 15 yards. I am very pleased with the purchase. The have some 4" now both round and square if they haven't sold out.