Model 10 Parts Interchangeability

chewie146

Hey all,

I've searched high and low, but can't find an answer. Are the slotted hammer noses (spring-loaded) designed for later M10s the same dimensionally as the original hammer noses for earlier revolvers? Can you fit a new nose to an old gun and just have a unused slot in the hammer? My new-to-me M-10 shoots wonderfully, but I'd like to have a few spare parts to keep it running for a long, long time. If the new nose won't fit the old hammer, can a new hammer designed for the new nose be fitted to the firearm?

Thanks,

Ben

bedbugbilly

Ben - I can't answer your question but if someone here doesn't come along who can - go over to

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

There is a gunsmithing forum there and I'm sure someone there can answer your question.

I have a 4th change M & P that's been running fine since the mid 1920s and from what I know of it, it has never needed any work. I also have a Pre 10 from 1952 that is the same way. If yours is working fine, I doubt you will ever need to replace parts if it's taken care of but of course, things do happen so it's not a bad idea to have spares. . . they'll probably still be in the drawer many years from now but you never know.

chewie146

I think I'm going to build a small collection via gunbroker. I found a NOS hammer nose on there for 20 bucks, which is high, but Smith is no longer producing them. I'm thinking I'll keep this revolver running for a long time. coil springs are easy enough. I'm going to get a couple mainsprings, a trigger, and if at all possible, another hammer to bob and leave the stock one alone.

Thanks for the tip on that one. I'll check out that forum. I've got a revolver bug that has been going on for some time. I'm starting to get enough money together to act on it. SCARY!

James K

Member In Memoriam
IIRC, the hammer noses are the same except for the slot for the spring. You can even cut a slot in the plain one if you have to. But you might get a spare rivet or two also.

Jim